Duke football's Mataeo Durant declares for 2022 NFL Draft

<p>Mataeo Durant announced his declaration for the NFL Draft Tuesday afternoon.</p>

Mataeo Durant announced his declaration for the NFL Draft Tuesday afternoon.

After four years with Duke football, star running back Mataeo Durant is ready for the next level.

Durant announced his declaration for the NFL Draft via Instagram Tuesday afternoon. The senior from Plum Branch, S.C., leaves Duke after a monumental final season in which he set the school’s single-season rushing record and was selected to the All-ACC First Team.

Durant leaves Duke as one of the most accomplished runners in school history. His ​​2,562 career yards are fourth all-time, his 10 100-yard rushing games are third and he now holds the single-game record for both rushing yards (255) and attempts (43) after landmark performances in his final campaign.

Durant’s departure from Duke football comes shortly after news of longtime head coach David Cutcliffe’s departure from the program. Graduate quarterback Gunnar Holmberg, senior receiver Jake Bobo and redshirt senior safety Lummie Young IV—all team captains in 2020-21—entered the transfer portal shortly after the season finale against Miami.

Jonathan Levitan

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity senior and was previously sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke football's Mataeo Durant declares for 2022 NFL Draft” on social media.