Final QuadEx pairings, information about housing released Thursday

Each year students gather on Main West Quad for Joe College Day, an event put on by the Duke University Union that brings multiple bands to campus to put on a free outdoor concert.  This year's event included performances from Delta Rae, Bally-Hoo!, Matt Wertz, Cage the Elephant, and Pretty Lights.
Each year students gather on Main West Quad for Joe College Day, an event put on by the Duke University Union that brings multiple bands to campus to put on a free outdoor concert. This year's event included performances from Delta Rae, Bally-Hoo!, Matt Wertz, Cage the Elephant, and Pretty Lights.

Students received additional details about QuadEx Thursday afternoon.

The email was sent to all undergraduate students by Gary Bennett, vice provost for undergraduate education, and Mary Pat McMahon, vice president and vice provost for student affairs. It contained the finalized East-West house pairings, information on blocking and opportunities to provide feedback on the new system.

The Chronicle previously reported on a proposed list of quad pairings in September. Most of those pairings, which “were taken from student meetings we held to test draft connections and incorporate student feedback” according to the email, have remained the same. However, the feeder houses for Crowell and Kilgo Quads have changed.

The updated pairings are as follows:

• Bassett and Pegram: Craven Quad
  • Giles and Wilson: Crowell Quad (new)
  • Trinity and Bell Tower: Edens Quad
  • Gilbert-Addoms and Southgate: Few Quad
  • Blackwell and Randolph: Keohane Quad
  • Alspaugh and Brown: Kilgo Quad (new)
  • East House and West House: Wannamaker Quad

Students will be able to form blocks of up to eight students when applying to live in West Campus housing, 300 Swift or Hollows Quad, although the email notes that smaller groups have a better chance of securing space together because fewer rooms are involved.

“Blocks larger than eight are much more likely to be broken up and dispersed throughout a building, which runs counter to the community-oriented goals of QuadEx,” the email reads.

Rising sophomores will be able to form blocks only with students from the other East Campus houses in their Quad. The Classes of 2023 and 2024 will be able to form blocks with any other student in those class years. 

In future years, rising juniors and seniors who choose to remain in their Quad will only be able to block with other members of that Quad, and those who choose to live in Hollows Quad or 300 Swift will be able to block with anyone.

Rising juniors and seniors interested in affiliating with a specific Quad may choose that Quad during room selection in March.

First-years have the opportunity to participate in the Class of 2025 QuadEx Advisory Council, which was created by Duke Student Government and will meet with students biweekly and administrators bimonthly. Applications are open until Nov. 19. 

There will also be an informational meeting on East Campus Nov. 15. Details are forthcoming.

Nadia Bey profile
Nadia Bey | Digital Strategy Director

Nadia Bey, Trinity '23, was managing editor for The Chronicle's 117th volume and digital strategy director for Volume 118.

Share and discuss “Final QuadEx pairings, information about housing released Thursday” on social media.