Duke’s chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma to disaffiliate effective Dec. 1

Duke’s chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma is disaffiliating from the University effective Dec. 1. 

The decision was announced in an email to members from the national organization Monday. The email pointed to the University’s decision to no longer allow first-years to rush selective groups and the suspension of selective housing after the 2022-2023 academic year as reasons for disaffiliation.

“In the weeks and months that follow, we will continue to work in partnership with our [National Panhellenic Conference] peers to ensure a smooth transition to the local Panhellenic,” the email reads.

In spring 2021, nine fraternities disaffiliated from the University to form Durham Interfraternity Council, citing similar reasons of Duke moving the rush process and suspending selective housing. In October, Duke’s chapter of Alpha Delta Pi formally disbanded.

Mary Pat McMahon, vice provost and vice president for student affairs, did not immediately respond to an inquiry from The Chronicle regarding whether Duke has been made aware of other sororities disaffiliating. Additionally, Duke KKG President Julia Mitchell, a junior, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

This is a developing story and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Nadia Bey profile
Nadia Bey | Digital Strategy Director

Nadia Bey, Trinity '23, was managing editor for The Chronicle's 117th volume and digital strategy director for Volume 118.

Share and discuss “Duke’s chapter of Kappa Kappa Gamma to disaffiliate effective Dec. 1” on social media.