Duke's chapter of Alpha Delta Pi sorority to close effective immediately, per memo

One year after the majority of its members voted to disband, Duke’s Omicron chapter of Alpha Delta Pi sorority is closing.

The ADPi Grand Council, which oversees all chapters, voted to withdraw Duke’s charter “effective immediately,” according to a memo to chapter alumni obtained by The Chronicle. The Grand Council initially denied the chapter’s request to dissolve in September 2020.

“As shared with Omicron alumnae last month, the conditions for rebuilding the chapter at Duke have not been favorable for some time, and the supporting volunteers and staff do not see a path forward that will lead to a meaningful membership experience at this time,” the memo reads.

The Grand Council is working with Duke and the Panhellenic Association to create a “right to return agreement” for the chapter to be re-established at a time that is “mutually beneficial,” according to the memo.

ADPi and Zeta Tau Alpha voted to disband in fall 2020 in the wake of the campus movement to abolish Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council organizations.

The most recent fraternity and sorority life chapter scorecard from Student Affairs said that ADPi had one active member in spring 2021.

The Chronicle attempted to reach out to ADPi via email and Instagram for comment and did not receive a response.

Emilie Dye, director of student engagement, leadership, did not immediately respond to a request for comment by The Chronicle asking if Duke planned to work with the Grand Council on a right of return agreement.

Nadia Bey profile
Nadia Bey | Digital Strategy Director

Nadia Bey, Trinity '23, was managing editor for The Chronicle's 117th volume and digital strategy director for Volume 118.

Share and discuss “Duke's chapter of Alpha Delta Pi sorority to close effective immediately, per memo” on social media.