Sportswrap: Duke women's soccer upset in ACC tournament, football crushed by Wake Forest

Senior Ade Owokoniran logged her 1,000th career kill against Notre Dame Friday.

Sportswrap is your one-stop shop for everything Duke athletics, where we’ll recap how each of Duke’s sports currently in competition performed over the last week and give a brief look ahead. Here’s our recap for the week of Oct. 25-31.

Volleyball 

Senior Ade Owokoniran became the 27th player in program history to reach the 1,000 kill threshold during the match against Notre Dame Friday. The Blue Devils defeated the Fighting Irish in a five-set match led by Ade Owokoniran and Lizzie Fleming with 23 and 14 kills respectively. On Sunday, Duke faced up against undefeated Louisville, falling 3-1. Despite the loss, the team won the third set in an impressive show of resilience. Looking to next week, the Blue Devils will host Wake Forest Friday and Virginia Tech Sunday. -Olivia Wivestad

Women’s soccer 

No. 2 Duke came out with some post-big-game lethargy against Louisville, but a first-half goal from Michelle Cooper and lockdown defense in the second half was enough for the Blue Devils to secure the victory in their regular season finale. On Halloween, the Blue Devils kicked off their postseason campaign in the ACC tournament with a first-round loss against Wake Forest at Koskinen Stadium. Next up for Duke is a week of waiting until they hear their NCAA tournament seeding Nov. 8. -Jonathan Browning

Men’s basketball

Duke thrashed visiting Winston-Salem State in Saturday's exhibition, jumping out to a 50-point halftime lead on the way to an encouraging 106-38 win. The frontcourt duo of Paolo Banchero and Mark Williams led the way on offense with a combined 35 points to go along with the team’s 26 assists, but the biggest surprise of the afternoon came when freshman forward AJ Griffin—who sprained his knee barely three weeks ago—checked in for the Blue Devils, looking healthy in 17 minutes of playing time. The long-awaited tipoff to head coach Mike Krzyzewski’s final year at Duke will have to wait until Nov. 9, when Duke takes on No. 10 Kentucky in a Champions Classic showdown at Madison Square Garden. -Jonathan Levitan 

Cross country

Friday’s ACC Championship meet in South Bend, Ind., didn’t quite go as hoped for Duke, with the men finishing seventh with 161 points and the women in ninth with 247. Graduate student Michaela Reinhart, sophomore Charlotte Tomkinson and graduate student Josh Romine had the performances of the day for the Blue Devils, finishing top-21 for All-ACC honors. Both teams have two weeks to regroup and get some late-season training in before a trip to Louisville, Ky. in two weeks for NCAA Regionals and a shot at qualifying for the Nationals meet in Tallahassee. -Andrew Long

Football

The Blue Devils came out of a bye week struggling just as much as they were before, dropping a fourth straight game to No. 10 Wake Forest, 45-7. In its latest loss, Duke struggled to contain the passing threat from Wake Forest quarterback Sam Hartman and labored to move the ball downfield offensively until a fourth-quarter score. To continue a tough stretch of football, the Blue Devils return home to host Kenny Pickett and Pittsburgh Saturday. -Micah Hurewitz

Men’s soccer 

Duke capped off its regular season with a dramatic 3-2 overtime victory against Virginia at Koskinen Stadium. Freshman Ruben Mesalles logged the final assist and sophomore Lewis McGarvey delivered the game-winning goal in the seventh minute of extra play. The Blue Devils earned the No. 3 seed in the ACC tournament and have their first postseason game Nov. 7 against the winner of the Virginia-Wake Forest game. -Jake Piazza

Field hockey 

The Blue Devils had a friendly scrimmage against North Carolina Sunday as a tuneup game before the ACC tournament begins. Duke has the No. 7 seed for the tournament and takes on No. 5-seed Syracuse. Nov. 4. -Piazza

Swimming and diving

In their home opener this weekend, the Blue Devils won convincingly against both Boston College and UNC-Wilmington; the men earned their first win of the season while the women remain undefeated following their upset of Virginia Tech last Friday. Impressive performances included freshman Yixuan Chang, who won four individual events, junior Coleman Kredich, who swept the men’s sprints and senior Easop Lee, who returned from a difficult injury to win the 200 backstroke by over two seconds. -Babu Chatterjee

Duke men's tennis' Andrew Zhang etched his name into the Blue Devil history books Oct. 26 by winning the ITA Carolina Regional Singles title. Zhang is only the fifth Blue Devils to do so and travels to San Diego, Calif., for the ITA National Fall Championships Nov. 4-7.

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Micah Hurewitz

Micah Hurewitz is a Trinity senior and was previously a sports managing editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Jonathan Levitan

Jonathan Levitan is a Trinity senior and was previously sports editor of The Chronicle's 118th volume.

Andrew Long profile
Andrew Long | Sports Editor

Andrew Long is a Trinity junior and sports editor of The Chronicle's 119th volume.

Babu Chatterjee profile
Babu Chatterjee

Babu Chatterjee is a Trinity junior and sports staff reporter for The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Sportswrap: Duke women's soccer upset in ACC tournament, football crushed by Wake Forest” on social media.