University of Michigan professor, department chair named next Vinik dean of Pratt

<p>Jerome Lynch has served as the Donald Malloure Department Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Michigan since 2017.</p>

Jerome Lynch has served as the Donald Malloure Department Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Michigan since 2017.

The Pratt School of Engineering has named its next Vinik dean.

Jerome Lynch will assume the role on Jan. 1, 2022, according to a Thursday press release. 

Lynch has served as the Donald Malloure Department Chair of Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of Michigan since 2017 and worked at the school since 2003. During his time as chair, enrollment in the department has increased and the university received increasing numbers of research to grow. Additionally, Lynch oversaw the institution of multiple diversity initiatives and mentorship programs. 

From 2009 to 2014, Lynch served as director of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Technology Innovation Program. He holds several patents and has founded two companies, Sensametrics and Civionics. 

As co-director of the University of Michigan Urban Collaboratory, Lynch works with residents and city leaders to find technology and design-related solutions to problems facing the community. He also created “Sensors in a Shoebox,” a program that aims to get Detroit teens thinking about urban engineering challenges.

“[Lynch] has demonstrated a remarkable commitment to advancing engineering research, education and practice, and to engaging with communities to use science to address critical challenges,” Provost Sally Kornbluth said in the press release. 

“In his time at the University of Michigan, he has demonstrated extraordinary leadership, both as an administrator and scholar and as an engaged advocate for smart and inclusive urban growth,” President Vincent Price said in the press release. “We are excited that he will bring his talents and vision to Duke and the future of our engineering programs, and I look forward to working with him closely in the years ahead.”

Lynch will succeed Ravi Bellamkonda, whose tenure at Pratt lasted five years before he left Duke to become provost and executive vice president for academic affairs at Emory University. Jeff Glass, professor in the department of electrical and computer engineering, has served as Pratt’s interim dean since July 1.

Lynch did not respond to requests for comment in time for publication. 

Gautam Sirdeshmukh | Staff Reporter

Gautam Sirdeshmukh is a Trinity senior and a staff reporter for the news department. He was previously the health & science news editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “University of Michigan professor, department chair named next Vinik dean of Pratt” on social media.