Duke men's basketball's Chris Carrawell promoted to associate head coach

Chris Carrawell was promoted to associate head coach Tuesday evening.

More news came out of the Duke men's basketball program Tuesday evening.

Assistant coach Chris Carrawell has been promoted to associate head coach, effective immediately. He's been a member of the coaching staff since 2018 and played for Duke from 1996-2000. 

"This is incredible," said Carrawell in the official release. "For Coach to have that trust in me, especially in his last year, is an honor and privilege. It is the equivalent of being named a captain my senior year because Coach doesn't just hand these things out—I've had to earn it and work for it. I'm grateful for the opportunity and look forward to being alongside this great coaching staff again this season."

Carrawell has previously coached at Marquette and in what was then the D-League, in addition to holding a number of roles within Duke Athletics from 2007-11. 

Head coach Mike Krzyzewski had high praise in the release.

“We are thrilled to promote Chris to associate head coach,” Krzyzewski said. “He has absolutely deserved this opportunity since coming back to Duke on our coaching staff in 2018. Chris' passion and love for the game, and for the betterment of our players and program, is clearly evident every day. As good of a player as he was for us, Chris is an even better teacher of the game and mentor to the young men in our program. He is well on his way to becoming a head coach very soon and we're so lucky to have him.”

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball's Chris Carrawell promoted to associate head coach” on social media.