Duke in the NFL: Jones notches first win, Crowder continues to lead receiving corps

Jamison Crowder did not have the yardage he typically racks up, but he once again hauled in seven receptions.

Yet another week of NFL play has passed.  Although there were a few COVID-19 scares early in the week, for the first time since Week 3, all scheduled games were played.  And with that, comes another edition of Duke in the NFL.

Daniel Jones, QB, New York Giants

For the first time this season, the New York Giants won a football game.  Their opponent, the Washington Football Team, has not been great either, but a win is a win.  However, the slow start for Daniel Jones has continued, as he has really struggled without star running back Saquon Barkley.  In Week 6, Jones threw the ball only 19 times, completing 12 for a total of 112 yards, one touchdown and one interception.  Early in the second quarter, Jones ran for a huge 49-yard gain allowing the Giants to score a field goal and enter halftime with a 13-10 lead.  Perhaps this game is exactly what the Giants need to get rolling, and Jones will certainly look to lead them to another win next week when they face off with the 1-4-1 Philadelphia Eagles.  

Jamison Crowder, WR, New York Jets

Another week, another Jets loss and another game with seven receptions for Crowder.  This time, however, Crowder did not reach the 100-yard mark, as the Miami Dolphins defense held the Jets’ offense scoreless, only totaling 263 yards in the game.  Without starting quarterback Sam Darnold, there is little left to be excited about with this Jets team.  However, Crowder’s consistent play has provided glimpses of what can come as soon as the other units get their act together.  

Matt Skura, C, Baltimore Ravens

The Baltimore Ravens are now 5-1 in the 2020 season, beating the Philadelphia Eagles 30-28 on Sunday.  The Ravens have now also put up 30 or more points in four of their six games this season.  Much of this comes from their ability to push the ball downfield so easily on the ground—they lead the NFL in yards per carry at 5.4.  That stat is a testament to how well put together this offensive line is.  Starting with Skura at the center, their ability to maintain blocks and open holes in defensive lines gives their backfield, as well as star quarterback Lamar Jackson, perfect opportunities to break free for runs.  Yesterday, they finished with 182 yards rushing as a team, just four yards less than Jackson’s 186 yards in the air.  

Lucas Patrick, OG, Green Bay Packers

In their first loss of the season, the Packers’ offense struggled for what felt like the first time in ages.  Hot streaks like that tend to happen when you have a future Hall of Famer in Aaron Rodgers leading your team.  However, the Packers scored less than 30 points for the first time this season, finishing the game with just 10 against a very strong Tampa Bay team.  Patrick and the offensive line gave up five sacks for a loss of 53 yards in this poor performance, as well as only opening enough lanes for 94 yards rushing.  On the bright side, the Packers’ one touchdown came on a short Aaron Jones rush, where the line did just enough to help him get into the end zone.  Look for Patrick and the rest of the Green Bay Packers to bounce back next week against the struggling Texans.  

Share and discuss “Duke in the NFL: Jones notches first win, Crowder continues to lead receiving corps” on social media.