Duke football announces captains for 2020 season

Deon Jackson, one of five Duke captains for the upcoming season, will look to jumpstart the Blue Devil offense on the ground.

With the opening kickoff of the 2020 season rapidly approaching, it was time for the Blue Devils to select their team captains.

Duke named five experienced upperclassmen to the position, according to a release from the team: Michael Carter II, Noah Gray, Deon Jackson, Chris Rumph II and Jack Wohlabaugh. The group was elected by their teammates, per the release.

Carter, a senior safety from Douglasville, Ga., has racked up 94 tackles and two interceptions in 35 career games, being named an Academic All-ACC selection twice. 

Gray, who led Duke with 51 receptions last season, will look to build on his impressive 2019 campaign. The Massachusetts native was named a Walter Camp Second Team All-American and received Second Team All-ACC honors a season ago.

Jackson, whose captaincy also comes with a number change, has rushed for 1,585 yards and 13 touchdowns over the last three seasons. 

Rumph comes into the season with immense expectations after compiling 47 tackles and 6.5 sacks in a breakout campaign last year, and could be a first-round pick in next spring's NFL Draft.

Wohlabaugh, who was recently ruled out indefinitely due to a torn ACL suffered in practice, was an All-ACC Honorable Mention performer last season. Wohlabaugh has started 18 games at center since transferring from Ohio State in 2018.

While there are assuredly other leaders on the roster, it seems as though the five aforementioned Blue Devils made an impression on the entire program throughout fall camp. 

Max Rego profile
Max Rego

Max Rego is a Trinity senior and an associate sports editor for The Chronicle's 118th volume. He was previously sports managing editor for Volume 117.

Share and discuss “Duke football announces captains for 2020 season ” on social media.