Duke women's basketball's Joanne P. McCallie steps down as head coach

McCallie served as head coach at Duke for 13 years.

Former women’s basketball head coach Joanne P. McCallie made a shocking announcement Thursday morning. 

After 13 seasons at the helm, McCallie has decided to step down as head coach, effective immediately.

“I am choosing to step away as head coach at Duke," McCallie said via a video from the @DukeWBB Twitter account. "As a coach in the final year of my contract, uncertainty is natural and it takes away from confidence and fun. I am pretty sure there is a level of uncertainty amongst the Duke family. I want to bring clarity with great pride and all."

The full video can be seen below.

Despite some turbulence in recent years, McCallie had a successful career at Duke. She finished with a 330-107 overall record and won four straight regular season ACC titles from 2010-13. This most recent season was a rollercoaster of a ride, but McCallie impressively led the Blue Devils on one of the most drastic and exciting season turnarounds to finish the regular season third in the ACC.

“I hope my action allows the team to play free, without the burden and uncertainty of their coach’s future," McCallie said. "I have chosen to forgo the majority of my final year of compensation to support my staff during this incredibly challenging and transitional time overall. I am hoping to help pave the way for Duke to make an impactful selection for the fifth coach in Duke women’s basketball history."

The press release said that "Duke will begin its search for McCallie’s replacement immediately."

This is a developing story. Check back for more updates.

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball's Joanne P. McCallie steps down as head coach” on social media.