Fall and winter student-athletes eligible for on-campus housing in the Fall

Duke's newest housing change for the fall won't be affecting student-athletes for the team's fall and winter sports.

While the majority of Duke juniors and seniors are no longer eligible for on-campus Fall housing, one segment of the University's upperclassman population will still be able to live on campus. 

Junior and senior student-athletes on Duke's fall and winter sports teams will be eligible for on-campus housing for the Fall semester, Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations, wrote in a Sunday evening message to The Chronicle. 

Schoenfeld added that junior and senior student-athletes on spring sports teams will be evaluated through the review process that Duke has established to determine who can receive on-campus housing, as "some may have other circumstances that could make them eligible."

All juniors and seniors can use an application on the  Keep Learning website to seek on-campus housing eligibility this fall, if they have personal or academic circumstances that give them a specific need to live on campus. That application will open Monday.

Schoenfeld wrote that this plan for student-athletes will not change if announcements come that an athletes' particular sport will not be playing its season.

An announcement regarding fall sports competition is expected to come from the ACC in the coming week.

Duke was one of the last schools in the ACC to have athletes return to campus amid the COVID-19 pandemic, with a phased return beginning with the football team July 12.

Matthew Griffin contributed reporting.

Share and discuss “Fall and winter student-athletes eligible for on-campus housing in the Fall” on social media.