Duke women's basketball's Haley Gorecki, Leaonna Odom tabbed with All-ACC distinctions

Odom received All-ACC honors for the first time in her career.

With conference play officially wrapping up Sunday, the Blue Ribbon Panel and each ACC team’s head coach casted their votes for the All-ACC teams. Two Blue Devils were recognized for their stellar accomplishments this season, with Haley Gorecki and Leaonna Odom both receiving All-ACC honors.

In addition to being voted by both committees onto the All-ACC first team, graduate student Haley Gorecki received All-ACC defensive team distinction for the first time in her career by the league’s coaches. This year marks the second consecutive season Gorecki was voted to the conference's first team by the Blue Ribbon Panel. Her selection to the defensive team is a true testament to the versatility of the Palatine, Ill. native.

“Given her incredible stats she has turned in and her ability to lead a team from 10th place to third in the ACC is pretty remarkable.... Haley has continued to fill the stat sheet and showed she is one of the best players nationally. I am so proud and excited as it is an honor well-deserved for Haley,” head coach Joanne P. McCallie said in a release from the team.

Gorecki led the Blue Devils with 18.2 points, 6.5 rebounds, 4.3 assists and 2.1 steals per game this season.

This year marks Odom’s first time being on an All-ACC team, as she was voted to the second team by both voting parties. The senior had one of the most drastic season shifts in recent memory, as she came alive in the second half of the year to complement Gorecki and greatly up her draft stock in the process. She finished with 14.0 points and 6.3 rebounds per game, both second on the team.

“I am excited for [Odom] as she has had a great senior year and the honor is well-deserved. We are looking for her to continue to grow and the recognition is timely and appropriate as she prepares for the stretch run of her collegiate career,” McCallie said.

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball's Haley Gorecki, Leaonna Odom tabbed with All-ACC distinctions” on social media.