The independent news organization of Duke University

Columbia transfer Patrick Tape commits to Duke men's basketball for the 2020-21 season

<p>Mike Krzyzewski finally found another interior presence to add to the 2020-21 team.</p>

Mike Krzyzewski finally found another interior presence to add to the 2020-21 team.

Though Blue Devils' head coach Mike Krzyzewski and his staff recently missed out on Harvard transfer Seth Towns, it didn't take long to find another Ivy League forward to take his place.

Columbia big man Patrick Tape announced his intention to finish his career with Duke as a graduate transfer and will be immediately eligible to play in the 2020-21 season, per Jon Rothstein. The 6-foot-10, 232 pounder chose the Blue Devils over interest from Maryland and Syracuse, among others.

After a slow start to his college career, Tape broke out with the Lions during his junior campaign, averaging 11.3 points and 5.9 rebounds per contest while shooting over 66 percent from the field. The North Carolina native impressed over a three game stretch against Power 5 opponents in December, averaging over 16 points per game against Boston College, Northwestern and Rutgers.

"It was really just being close to home and having my family come see me, the excellent tradition they have there, and the opportunity to play for the best coach of all time," Tape told ESPN's Jeff Borzello.

With Javin DeLaurier graduating and the expected departure of Vernon Carey Jr., Duke helped alleviate its need for an interior presence with Tape's commitment. The big man will join incoming freshman Mark Williams as the only Blue Devils taller than 6-foot-10 next season. 

Comments