X-Factor: Duke men's basketball's Tre Jones must once again win point guard battle with Chris Lykes

<p>Tre Jones held Chris Lykes to just 2-15 shooting last time they met.</p>

Tre Jones held Chris Lykes to just 2-15 shooting last time they met.

As Duke gets set for a rematch with Miami, the Blue Zone gives you a player to watch from each team Tuesday night:

Duke: Guard Tre Jones

Tre Jones was the catalyst for the seemingly unstoppable momentum that Duke had before back-to-back losses. The Blue Devils' offense ran through the sophomore leader, and his efficient play maximized the team's potential on both sides of the floor. While Jones’ play hasn’t completely fallen off in the last two losses, he’s been considerably less efficient. After posting a 43 to 16 assist-to-turnover ratio in the six games prior to the losing streak, Jones regressed to an 11 to 7 ratio against Clemson and Louisville. 

If Duke wants to right the ship against Miami, Jones will have to earn his role as captain and lead his squad to a win. While his last two performances could just be an anomaly, it is imperative that the Apple Valley native returns to his full potential before his play becomes an enduring concern.  

Miami: Guard Chris Lykes

Lykes might not seem like the most intimidating figure at first glance. The junior stands at only 5-foot-7 and weighs 157 pounds—but much like Tre Jones for Duke, the Miami offense runs through Lykes. A flash of lightning on the court, Lykes is the Hurricanes’ leading scorer with 16.1 points per contest as well as their leading assist man with almost three per game. His quickness and athleticism makes it extremely difficult to man up on him, and his ability to find space on the floor opens the game up for both himself and his teammates.

In the first game of the season against Miami, Tre Jones and Jordan Goldwire were able to stifle Lykes, holding him to only eight points on 2 for 15 shooting from the field. However, the Hurricanes' floor general is too good of a player to expect to control easily. While it seems like Duke has the answers to stopping him, if Lykes comes out hot, it could spell trouble for the Blue Devils and their ability to stop their recent slide.

Share and discuss “X-Factor: Duke men's basketball's Tre Jones must once again win point guard battle with Chris Lykes” on social media.