Duke women's basketball 2019-20 player preview: Miela Goodchild

Goodchild set Duke's freshman record in 3-point field goals last season with 73

Miela Goodchild

Year: Sophomore

Height: 5-foot-10

Position: Guard

Last Year’s stat line: 10.9 PPG, 1.9 RPG, 30.9 MPG

Game Breakdown: The sharpshooting Australian burst onto the scene a year ago, shocking the college basketball world with her outside touch. Her 73 3-pointers broke Duke's freshman record, earning Goodchild a name for herself beyond the arc. Though she may take some 3-pointers that appear to have been launched from the Outback, she does so in a highly efficient fashion, converting on 44.5 percent of her attempts last season.

There is no doubt that her bread and butter is when she is off the ball. Goodchild’s quick release gives her the ability to take advantage of the narrow windows her cutting creates, resulting in her playing style melding well with the more ball-centric players on the Blue Devils' roster. Though her perimeter shooting may be her most lethal asset, the 2018-2019 All-ACC freshman selection can still be effective in other phases of the game. In times where opponents have attempted to swarm her at the 3-point line, Goodchild has flashed some crafty moves to create opportunities for Duke off the dribble.

Goodchild appears poised to have another stellar year after a complete offseason filled to the brim with basketball. Instead of taking the summer off to kick back and relax, she donned the colors of her home country for the 2019 U19 FIBA games in Thailand. Though her numbers may have not been the ones she has come accustomed to seeing, Goodchild nonetheless returns with even more experience under her belt. 

Role on the Team: Despite her tireless offseason schedule, there is no time for Goodchild to press snooze as Duke will heavily rely on her to produce on offense. With fellow perimeter shooter Haley Gorecki attracting the eyes of every opposing coach, Goodchild will be leaned on to shoulder a greater portion of the scoring. Previously, the Moreton Bay College product has shown she rises to the occasion when the lights shine bright, dropping a season-high 26 points on No. 5 Notre Dame last February.

Goodchild’s completeness of her game will make it next to impossible for head coach Joanne P. McCallie to pull her off the court. On a team that will surely have growing pains early on as they wait for a few returners to come back from injury, she will undoubtedly be called upon by her mates to get their season off on the right foot. 

Predicted stats: 13.7 PPG, 2.3 APG, 1.4 SPG

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball 2019-20 player preview: Miela Goodchild” on social media.