Duke women's basketball 2019-20 player preview: Jaida Patrick

<p>Jaida Patrick is raw offensively, but boasts impressive defensive abilities.</p>

Jaida Patrick is raw offensively, but boasts impressive defensive abilities.

Jaida Patrick

Year: Freshman

Height: 5-foot-10

Position: Guard/Forward

Last year’s statline: N/A

Game Breakdown: There will be no time for Patrick to work through many freshman woes upon the commencement of Duke’s season. The Blue Devils return their entire starting lineup, yet they will need Patrick to adjust to collegiate basketball quickly as head coach Joanne P. McCallie's squad, who is thin down low, may need the New Jersey native to take minutes as a small-ball forward. 

Since arriving on campus, Patrick has shown the potential to be a leader, something that does not come as a major surprise, considering she led her high school team to the final game of the Tournament of Champions. She may not have the height to compete regularly in the paint, but her game-high 10 rebounds in the Blue and White scrimmage definitely turned some heads.

Patrick has proven to be a defensive-minded player who simply needs to work on her scoring and shooting abilities. She has made her presence felt on the defensive side of the ball, contributing through hard nose play and racking up steals. The Saddle River Day product is comfortable finishing in the paint despite being undersized and uses her quickness to create open lanes to the rim.

Role on the Team: New assistant coach Wanisha Smith has made it clear that the Blue Devils will go toe-to-toe with their opponents and wants to place an emphasis on making big defensive stops. Patrick, who averaged over five steals per game during her senior year, makes an ideal candidate for Smith.

Her lack of perimeter skills will limit her minutes as McCallie intends to use lineups that can stretch the floor. The return of true point Kyra Lambert, however, could complement Patrick’s playing style and eventually lead to more touches around the basket. In the meantime, her solid skills in the post and tireless motor will put Patrick somewhere on the court.

Projected Stats: 1.4 PPG, 1.3 SPG, 2.4 RPG, 6.6 MPG

Jake C. Piazza

Jake Piazza is a Trinity senior and was sports editor of The Chronicle's 117th volume.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball 2019-20 player preview: Jaida Patrick” on social media.