2019 Miami football season preview

2018 season: 7-6, 4-4 in the ACC 

Head coach: Manny Diaz (1st season) 

The Hurricanes will begin a new era in 2019 after Mark Richt’s retirement, as former defensive coordinator Manny Diaz left Temple at the altar in favor of returning to Miami as its head coach. Last season in Coral Gables had its ups and downs with the Hurricanes beginning the season ranked in the top 10 and starting the year 5-1 before losing four straight in the middle of the year and falling to Wisconsin 35-3 in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl. 

The start of this season came with some quarterback controversy, with redshirt freshman Jarren Williams beating out former starter N’Kosi Perry and highly touted Ohio State transfer Tate Martell to earn the starting role. 

On the defensive side of the ball, the turnover chain may come out a little less often after losing key members of the secondary. However, the Hurricanes’ linebacker core could be the class of the ACC, headlined by preseason all-ACC first-teamers Shaquille Quarterman and Michael Pinckney.

Duke's win over the Hurricanes last season was just its second victory against Miami since the Hurricanes joined the ACC in 2004 and its first road victory in the series. The last time the Blue Devils beat Miami was at home in a 48-30 win in 2014. Miami handily won the last matchup in Wallace Wade with a 31-6 drubbing over then undefeated Duke in 2017. 

Share and discuss “2019 Miami football season preview” on social media.