2018 Miami football season preview

2017 season: 10-3, 7-1 in the ACC (1st in the Coastal Division)

Head coach: Mark Richt (3rd season)

After outperforming preseason expectations and starting 10-0 to earn its first 10-win season in more than a decade, Miami dropped a late-November game to unranked Pittsburgh and followed the collapse with a blowout loss to Clemson in the ACC championship game. The Hurricanes failed to reverse the trend in the postseason, falling to Wisconsin in the Orange Bowl.

Despite the disappointing home stretch, the 2017-18 season proved Miami was capable of competing with any team in the nation. Among the highlights were a 41-8 win against then-No. 3 Notre Dame, the end of a seven-year losing streak to rival Florida State and its first-ever ACC championship berth. The Hurricanes are the overwhelming favorite to win the Coastal Division again this year.

Despite redshirt senior Malik Rosier coming into the year with more than season’s worth of starts under his belt, Richt told fans the competition for the starting slot was wide open before fall camp. Rosier distinguished himself to keep his first-string spot, but he must prove he can be consistently productive—something he struggled with late last season. If he can find a rhythm, Rosier will enjoy an array of talented targets, including junior Ahmmon Richards and second-team All-ACC running back Travis Homer.

Miami's pass-rush heavy defense created enough turnovers last year to make the now-famed turnover chain a viral ritual. This year, it will be challenged after losing three defensive linemen to the NFL. These losses are softened by the return of veteran linebackers Zach McCloud, Shaq Quarterman and Michael Pinckney, who have played the last two seasons together. 

The Hurricanes' secondary may be the most glaring hole in their defense. They finished 56th in the nation last year in passing defense and allowed opposing quarterbacks to post better than 70 percent completion rates in two of their final four games.

Miami will be tested from the starting gate, as it hosts LSU in its season opener Sept. 2. If Rosier can capitalize with his offensive weapons and the inexperienced secondary doesn’t falter, the Hurricanes are poised for a return to the ACC title game and a run at the College Football Playoff. 

Share and discuss “2018 Miami football season preview” on social media.