Gas leak closes two parking lots, one lane of Anderson Street

Chronicle File Photo
Chronicle File Photo

A gas leak has closed two parking lots and one lane at the Anderson Street and Erwin Road intersection.

The Anderson Street exits of the H Lot and GC Lot were both closed Monday, and drivers will not be able to use the right northbound lane of Anderson near Erwin as repairs are completed, according to a Duke Today release.

"An odor of natural gas along Anderson and Erwin roads was reported on Friday morning. Crews from PSNC Energy responded to investigate," Paul Grantham, assistant vice president in the office of communication services, wrote in an email. "We have been informed that the leak is small enough to pose no risk while it is being repaired..."

The release advised northbound drivers to use Anderson's left lane and for H Lot permit holders to exit onto Yearby Avenue. Those who park in the GC Lot can use the Yearby Avenue or Flowers Drive exits.

There have been no alerts issued regarding changes to campus bus routes, according to the TransLoc app.

The closures should not have a continued impact on campus, as the lanes and exits are expected to open Wednesday once repairs are completed.

"At this time, we expect one lane of traffic to remain open along Anderson Street, and area parking lots should continue to be accessible from other exits until both lanes of Anderson reopen on Wednesday," Grantham wrote.

Bre Bradham contributed reporting. 

Share and discuss “Gas leak closes two parking lots, one lane of Anderson Street” on social media.