Arizona men's basketball 2018-19 season preview

Arizona Wildcats

2017-18 record: 27-8, 14-4 in the Pac 12

Head coach: Sean Miller

Tenure at Arizona: 10th season

Career coaching record: 367-121

Home court: McKale Memorial Center

Starters: G Justin Coleman, G Dylan Smith, F Brandon Randolph, F Emmanuel Akot, C Chase Jeter

Bench: F Ryan Luther, G Brandon Williams, F Ira Lee, G Alex Barcello, G Devonaire Doutrive, F Omar Thielemans

Overview: Arizona had a rollercoaster season last year with an FBI investigation of Miller, the status of its top player Deandre Ayton in question, three straight losses in the Bahamas, a Pac-12 regular-season title and tournament championship and a first round loss in the NCAA tournament.

Now, the Wildcats will look to replace their entire starting five, which accounted for 83 percent of their scoring. Sophomores Brandon Randolph and Emmanuel Akot will need to step up and prove why they were highly ranked coming out of high school. The former will look to become Arizona's leading scorer while Akot looks to be a force in the paint. 

Dylan Smith is the leading returning scorer from last season and will look to improve from deep after shooting at a 33 percent clip last season. Another veteran that will need to step up is Jeter—the redshirt junior flashed potential in his limited minutes at Duke and will look to make an impact this year after sitting out last season.

The Wildcats will be facing a lot of questions this season —and not just regarding the production of the team. With the investigation of college basketball continuing, there remains a huge shadow over the program. If Arizona can focus on its play on the court, it will be an interesting team to watch. 

One thing that needs to go right: Randolph and Akot live up to the high-school hype and emerge as stars to give the Wildcats some offensive firepower.

One thing that could go wrong: The ongoing investigation and lack of returning players leave the program looking for answers at the end of the season.

Share and discuss “Arizona men's basketball 2018-19 season preview” on social media.