One week later, no arrests made yet in pair of armed robberies

After a pair of armed robberies last week on and near Duke's campus, no arrests have been made. 

The two armed robberies struck Wannamaker fire lane and the 800 block of Burch Avenue—just over a mile from the fire lane—around 11 p.m. Sept. 17. Kammie Michael, spokesperson of Durham Police Department, wrote in an email to The Chronicle Tuesday that there were no updates, and that no charges had been filed. 

When asked for updates on the alleged Wannamaker robbery, John Dailey, chief of Duke University Police Department, simply wrote that the police are "still working hard." Dailey did not respond to a clarifying question in time for publication. 

Dailey had told The Chronicle Sept. 18 that investigators were looking for connections between the two robberies, which happened around the same time Sept. 17.  

Regarding the Burch robbery, Michael said that a 22-year-old man parked "around 11 p.m." and was approached by two men demanding money at gunpoint. The men pushed him to the ground and stole his phone, keys and 2017 Mazda CX-5. 

The suspects were described as black males in their early 20s, one of whom was wearing an orange or pink hoodie, Michael wrote. 

There were also two suspects in the Wannamaker robbery, one a "dark skin male, wearing [a] grey hoodie." The other was not described in the Duke Alert. Dailey wrote to The Chronicle Sept. 18 that the pair was driving a "dark color, four door sedan." 

Another Duke Alert was issued Sept. 18 after two female students reported they were touched inappropriately. Gustavo Antonio Velasquez Silva, 21, was released on $6,000 bond three days later in connection with the case after being charged with two counts of misdemeanor sexual battery. 

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “One week later, no arrests made yet in pair of armed robberies” on social media.