Arrest warrant issued after two female students reported being touched inappropriately

Courtesy of DukeToday
Courtesy of DukeToday

An arrest warrant has been issued after a suspect was identified from security camera footage after two female students were touched inappropriately Tuesday

The warrant is for Gustavo Antonio Velasquez Silva, 21, for two charges of misdemeanor sexual battery, according to a DukeToday news release.

“I want to commend the quick work on this case by investigators with Duke Police,” said Kyle Cavanaugh, vice president for administration. “The suspect was identified quickly and arrest warrants issued the day after the incidents.”

The Tuesday incidents occurred around 9:00 p.m. Tuesday near Campus Drive, when two women reported being approached separately and inappropriately touched by a man police now say was Silva.

A DukeAlert was issued at 10:59 p.m. that night for the incidents. No injuries were reported, according to the alert.

“We are grateful for the community’s quick response to provide critical information in the investigation,” Cavanaugh said in the release. “The suspect was identified based on the security camera photo released by Duke Police.”

Bre Bradham

Bre is a senior political science major from South Carolina, and she is the current video editor, special projects editor and recruitment chair for The Chronicle. She is also an associate photography editor and an investigations editor. Previously, she was the editor-in-chief and local and national news department head. 

Twitter: @brebradham

Email: breanna.bradham@duke.edu

Share and discuss “Arrest warrant issued after two female students reported being touched inappropriately” on social media.