Duke extends early decision deadline for NC, SC applicants due to Hurricane Florence

Chronicle File Photo
Chronicle File Photo

Duke has bumped back the deadline for early decision applicants from North and South Carolina affected by Hurricane Florence, according to a Tuesday news release.

Impacted students will now have until Nov. 12 to submit the early decision application. The deadline for other students is Nov. 1.

"The Duke Undergraduate Admissions Office recognizes the devastation and disruption caused by Hurricane Florence throughout many parts of North and South Carolina," the statement said. "Our thoughts are with all our neighbors whose homes and lives have been affected by this ongoing catastrophe."

Besides the deadline change, affected students in the two states will also be eligible for an application fee waiver and the absence of SAT Subject Test scores will have no effect on their application, according to the release.

For the Class of 2022, 4,090 students total applied early decision—a 16.3-percent increase in the number of early decision applications compared to the Class of 2021—and 875 were accepted.

Duke's regular decision deadline for the Class of 2023 is Jan. 2.

Check back for updates to this developing story.

Share and discuss “Duke extends early decision deadline for NC, SC applicants due to Hurricane Florence” on social media.