The Devil's in the Details: Week of Oct. 24

<p>Duke couldn't get its offense going in its fifth straight loss.&nbsp;</p>

Duke couldn't get its offense going in its fifth straight loss. 

They say the devil is in the details. But in Durham, the Blue Devils are in the details—and numbers.

Each week, the Blue Zone will dissect five key stats from last week's action in Duke sports, whether they be historic or underwhelming. This week, let the numbers take you inside another defeat for Duke football and continued soccer and field hockey success. 

18 

Duke women’s soccer extended its program record 18-game winning-streak after defeating both Virginia and Boston College last week. Thanks to a Kat McDonald goal in the 87th minute, the Blue Devils took down the Cavaliers to clinch the ACC title, their first since 2011 and third in program history. The first-seeded Blue Devils then faced the No. 8 seed, Boston College, Sunday afternoon in the first round of the ACC tournament and defeated the Eagles 3-1. 

Find out the whole story—Duke women's soccer wraps up perfect ACC slate behind McDonald's late goal AND Duke women's soccer advances to ACC semifinals for first time since 2011

After losing four straight ACC matches, Duke volleyball recovered to top Georgia Tech and Clemson and extend its win streak to four. These four road wins allowed the Blue Devils to go from 3-5 to 7-5 in the ACC and climb in ACC rankings to a sixth-place tie with North Carolina. Duke defeated Georgia Tech 3-1 and swept Clemson 3-0 as junior Jessi Bartholomew turned in her fifth straight performance with double digit kills, hitting a blistering .588 with three blocks and two digs. 

Find out the whole story—Duke volleyball wins fourth straight at Clemson to cap road swing

61

The Duke men’s basketball team opened their fall exhibition slate against the reigning Division II national champions, Northwest Missouri State. The Blue Devils routed the Bearcats 93-60 in Friday night’s contest, led by captain Grayson Allen’s 23-point performance. Duke rookies Marvin Bagley III and Gary Trent Jr. also tagged on 16 and 15 points, respectively. The Blue Devils showed their offensive power, pumping on all cylinders from their underclassman talent to shoot a dominant 61 percent from the field. 

Find out the whole story—Grayson Allen leads Duke men's basketball to comfortable win in exhibition opener

After starting the season 4-0, Duke football has now lost its fifth straight after a soggy loss at Virginia Tech this weekend. The Blue Devils’ quartertback, Daniel Jones, tallied a mere 82 yards through the air as Duke failed to convert a single touchdown. Before the third quarter the Blue Devils had only 98 yards of total offense. This loss marks not only the 5th straight for Duke but also the first time in head coach David Cutcliffe’s career that his team has not seen a single win in the month of October.  

Find out the whole story—Duke football's offense remains dormant in soggy loss at No. 13 Virginia Tech AND Costly end-of-half sequence continues troubling theme for Duke football

14

With a 14-under-par finish, the Duke women’s golf team edged out  Alabama on Sunday at the Landfall Tradition by one stroke. The Blue Devils also saw the first career individual victory from sophomore Ana Belac, who carded a 66 on Friday and a 69 Saturday to finish at 9-under-par. Duke is now tabbed at No. 7 in the nation following two straight tournament wins. 

Find out the whole story—Belac finshes first as Duke women's golf captures Landfall Tradition title

Share and discuss “The Devil's in the Details: Week of Oct. 24” on social media.