HALFTIME: Army 21, Duke 10

WEST POINT, N.Y.—After the first series for both sides, it seemed as though Duke would coast to its second road victory of the season, getting a stop on fourth down before driving down the field for a field goal.

But the good feelings on the Blue Devils’ side ended there, with Duke heading into the locker room trailing 21-10 against Army at Michie Stadium.

After allowing an 11-play, 80-yard drive that culminated with a 3-yard touchdown run from junior tailback Darnell Woolfolk, the Blue Devils gave up a sack, committed an intentional grounding penalty, and then had their ensuing punt blocked, resulting in a 25-yard touchdown return to give Army a 14-3 lead.

The bleeding did not stop there. Despite a promising drive into Black Knight territory, quarterback Daniel Jones and running back Brittain Brown botched an exchange, with an Army defender landing on top of the ball.

Although Duke’s defense was in good position to get off the field on third-and-9, it left Kell Walker wide open, and quarterback Ahmad Bradshaw found him for a 42-yard gain. Soon after, it was Bradshaw creating his own offense, finding space for a 21-yard touchdown rush.

The Blue Devils recovered with an 86-play touchdown drive aided by a third-down pass interference call and capped by a touchdown run from Jones, but Jones underthrew a pass for an interception on Duke's final drive with another chance to cut into the deficit. The Blue Devils will get the ball first to start the second half.

Here are some observations from the first half:

• Wide receiver T.J. Rahming has been a factor for the Blue Devils on offense, with three receptions for 40 yards.
  • Duke has struggled to stop the top-ranked rushing attack in the nation, with the Black Knights racking up 114 yards on 25 carries
  • Defensive tackle Edgar Cerenord committed a costly unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Army’s first scoring drive, which came on the heels of a confrontation between players from both sides a few plays earlier.
  • Daniel Jones' completion percentage has been much improved despite the windy weather conditions, as the redshirt sophomore has completed 12-of-16 passes for 122 yards.

Share and discuss “HALFTIME: Army 21, Duke 10” on social media.