Duke women's basketball 2017-18 player preview: Sofia Roma

Sofia Roma

• Year: Redshirt junior
  • Height: 6-foot-2
  • Position: Center

Game overview: A physical force in the post, Roma's clear strength is her prowess on the boards. A transfer from Wagner College, Roma was forced to sit out last year, but in her sophomore year at Wagner, she pulled down 10.0 rebounds per game. An aggresive player, Roma certainly does not lack in effort. 

However, her offensive game does leave some to be desired—she shot just 38.0 percent from the field in her second year at Wagner, averaging just 5.7 points per game despite playing the fourth-most minutes on the team. And so far, there has little to gauge any growth in that department—she didn't play in the Blue-White Scrimmage and was injured through parts of sitting out of games due to transfer rules. 

Role on the team: Even with little returning experience in the post after the departures of Oderah Chidom and Kendall Cooper, it's hard to see Roma playing significant minutes this season. Erin Mathias, Madison Treece, Bego Faz Davalos, and Emily Schubert all project to earn more time than her. If she continues to play aggressively on the boards, she could earn some minutes in that role, but with all of the talent ahead of her, Blue Devil fans might have to wait until next year to see her play meaningful minutes. 

Projected stats: 0.7 PPG, 1.3 RPG, .3 BPG

Stay tuned with the Blue Zone for our continuing player previews with redshirt sophomore Haley Gorecki tomorrow. Previous players previewed include Jade Williams, Jayda Adams, Madison Treece, Mikayla Boykin, Emily Schubert and Leaonna Odom

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball 2017-18 player preview: Sofia Roma” on social media.