Around the ACC: Duke stays winning, North Carolina State pulls off huge upset

Duke won the PK80 Invitational's Motion Bracket after three come-from-behind victories.

No. 1 Duke (7-0)

The Blue Devils have struggled in several games during the past week, but have still managed to stay undefeated. Despite facing a 17-point deficit late against No. 7 Florida, Duke rallied to win and take the PK80 Invitational. The Blue Devils also rallied Friday against Texas in the PK80 Classic, where Duke trailed by 16 midway through the second half, but behind 34 points from freshman phenom Marvin Bagley III, the Blue Devils escaped in overtime 85-78. 

North Carolina State (5-2)

The Wolfpack got off to a great start in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament in the Bahamas, upsetting No. 2 Arizona 90-84, as Allerik Freeman and Braxton Beverly combined for 44 points. But North Carolina State tanked the rest of the way in the tournament, falling to unranked Northern Iowa and Tennessee. Freeman is currently pacing the Wolfpack with 15.9 points per game. 

Virginia (6-0)

The Cavaliers remained undefeated by winning the NIT Season Tip-Off after knocking off Vanderbilt and Rhode Island. Sophomore Kyle Guy has taken a big step forward in his second season and leads the team in points with 15.8 per game. They will face their first significant test of the season this week when Wisconsin comes to Charlottesville. 

No. 11 Miami (5-0)

The Hurricanes breezed through the week to remain undefeated, easily downing La Salle and North Florida. Star forward Bruce Brown has gotten off to a slow start to the season, only averaging 9.8 points per game, but had 14 against North Florida. Miami will travel to Minnesota in a battle of top-15 teams on Tuesday in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge. 

Florida State (5-0)

The Seminoles had an easy week, beating Kennesaw State and The Citadel in two blowouts. Florida State is averaging 91 points per game, boasting one of the top scoring offenses in the country. Terrance Mann leads the team with 17 points per game. 

No. 13 Notre Dame (6-0)

It was a big week for the Fighting Irish, as they won the Maui Invitational, beating Chaminade, LSU and Wichita State on their way to the title. Notre Dame needed a big second half comeback to win against the No. 5 Shockers, as they fought back from a 14-point halftime deficit behind 25 points from ACC Preseason Player of the Year Bonzie Colson.  

Syracuse (5-0)

The Orange have coasted thus far against an easy schedule, winning big against teams like Oakland and Texas Southern. Star guard Tyus Battle has paced Syracuse and has looked like one of the best players in the ACC on his way to averaging 20 points per game. 

No. 9 North Carolina (5-1)

The Tar Heels had a good start in the PK80 Tournament, looking dominant in wins against Portland and Arkansas, but collapsed against Michigan State in the final, losing 63-45. Luke Maye has had a strong start to the year and leads the team in scoring with 21.2 points per game. 

No. 19 Louisville (6-0)

The Cardinals have gone unchallenged as well, racking up wins against inferior opponents. They are still playing without star recruit Brian Bowen, who was implicated in the NCAA scandal that led to head Coach Rick Pitino's firing, but have been led by Deng Adel instead with 17.5 points per game. 

Boston College (5-2) 

The wheels came off for the Eagles against Providence this last week, as the Friars coasted to an 86-66 win. It could be another long season for Boston College. 

Clemson (5-1)

The Tigers had an easy week with just one game, a home win against Texas Southern. Donte Grantham has emerged as Clemson’s go to offensive option, averaging 16 points per game, while the Tigers have allowed just 66.5 points per game. 

Virginia Tech (5-1)

The Hokies breezed through the week, blowing out Houston Baptist and Morehead State. They have stepped up their scoring this year and currently average over 100 points per game. This attack is spearheaded by Justin Bibbs, who has scored 21.2 points per game.

Georgia Tech (3-1)

Since their season opening loss to UCLA, the Yellow Jackets have won three straight, all against cupcake opponents. Josh Pastner’s team has been forcing 16 turnovers per game, but has failed to blow teams out—their biggest margin of victory was 14 points. 

Pittsburgh (2-4)

It was a rough week for the Panthers at the Legends Classic. They were blown out by Penn State, then lost again to Oklahoma State to continue what has been a difficult season for Kevin Stalling’s team thus far. Pittsburgh has struggled to generate consistent offense, scoring just 68.5 points per game.

Wake Forest (2-4)

It was a quiet week for the Demon Deacons with just one game, a win over UNC-Greensboro. The 81-75 win was driven by a balanced offensive performance with four players registering in double figures. Keyshawn Woods leads the team with 17 points per game. 

Share and discuss “Around the ACC: Duke stays winning, North Carolina State pulls off huge upset” on social media.