2017 Miami football season preview

2016 season: 9-4, 5-3 in the ACC (2nd in the Coastal Division) 

Head coach: Mark Richt (2nd season) 

The Hurricanes had quite a rollercoaster 2016-17 season, taking advantage of an easy early slate to hop off to a 4-0 record. But they then dropped four straight, starting with a gut-wrenching 20-19 loss against rival Florida State. 

To its credit, though, Miami bounced back to win its final four regular season contests all by comfortable margins, and then beat West Virginia 31-14 in the Russell Athletic Bowl to cap off its season. 

After losing quarterback Brad Kaaya to the NFL—he started each of the past three seasons—the Hurricanes’ biggest question mark is under center, where redshirt junior Malik Rosier won the starting job after summer practices. Rosier has plenty of weapons at his disposal, most notably All-ACC running back Mark Walton and freshman All-American wide receiver Ahmmon Richards. 

Defensively, Miami boasts an intimidating front seven, all of which are returners from last season. Defensive ends Chad Thomas and Joe Jackson combined for 13 sacks last year, and all three linebackers started as freshmen in 2016. Although the secondary remains as a concern, the Hurricanes have plenty of talent, and with a fearless pass rush, should be able to limit the passing game. 

The Sept. 16 contest against the Seminoles should prove to see whether Miami can be a true contender this season. If Rosier slides seamlessly into the starting role and the Hurricanes stay healthy, do not be surprised to see Miami playing in the ACC Championship game.     

Share and discuss “2017 Miami football season preview” on social media.