This week in Duke history: Duke breaks record for world's largest pillow fight prior to men's basketball game vs. North Carolina

<p>Duke set the record for the world's largest pillow fight with more than 1,000 students participating on the main quad in 2004.</p>

Duke set the record for the world's largest pillow fight with more than 1,000 students participating on the main quad in 2004.

It was war. Adrenaline was surely released, there were elbows flying and of course, it was all in the name of competition.

As a prelude to its home game against North Carolina in 2004—which Donald Trump attended—and as response to the University of Warwick in England setting the record a week prior, Duke organized what was then the largest pillow fight ever according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

Pillow Fight by thedukechronicle on Scribd

On the Main West Quadrangle at night, 1,076 students gathered and for a minute swatted pillows at one another. The organizers had to set up multiple cameras and witnesses to prove to the Guinness Book of World Records what the total was, and only bed pillows were counted, no "couch cushions."

But guess what? The University of Warwick took notice. The University, which is home to 24,683 students compared to 14,832 at Duke, responded the next week on March 11, 2004 by re-breaking the record, setting it at 1,308 people.

And Duke did not respond. In fact, it never has. The record has since been broken again on multiple occasions, and it now stands at 6,261 thanks to a minor league baseball team, the St. Paul Saints, hosting such a competition prior to one of its games in 2015.

Surely, that’s a difficult feat to break. But hey, International Pillow Fight Day is around the corner on April 1, according to pillowfightday.com. The ball’s in Duke’s court, or quad perhaps more fittingly.

Share and discuss “This week in Duke history: Duke breaks record for world's largest pillow fight prior to men's basketball game vs. North Carolina” on social media.