OFSL director David Pittman talks challenges of overseeing Greek life on campus

<p>David Pittman said that the OSFL is working to create unity among its four councils and the chapters within those councils.&nbsp;</p>

David Pittman said that the OSFL is working to create unity among its four councils and the chapters within those councils. 

As interim director of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and senior director for student life, David Pittman oversees Greek life on campus. The Chronicle spoke with Pittman about OFSL's role on campus, housing for Greek chapters and sexual assault prevention. 

The Chronicle: Can you explain what your office does?

David Pittman: We’re here to support the four councils. There are four governing councils over all of fraternities and sororities—the National Pan-Hellenic Council, the Multicultural Greek Council, the Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Association. One of our roles is to support the students who lead each of these councils and the governance of fraternities and sororities. I think another goal of ours is to support the mission of the University. One of the ways we support that mission is helping students connect the dots outside of the classroom to help learn some of those lessons that they may learn intellectually in the classroom and how to practice that in their organization. So when I think about fraternity and sorority life, I think about leadership skills, civic engagement and the opportunity for cross-cultural examination. So I would say support the mission as well as the academic engagement of learning outside the classroom. 

Greek life on many campuses is known as a social organization, and I don't think that’s something that we have to work at nor do I promote. It happens, I think it’s a natural part of what that is. Scholarship is another important aspect, community is another aspect. We have programs and services within our office to support all of those things. We have a leadership academy at the beginning of the year where we pull leaders from all councils and all chapters together. And we have a number of educational programs throughout the year—risk management, [Prevent. Act. Challenge. Teach. gender violence] training. I think there are a number of events that we help translate throughout the year. And the other big function is supporting intake of new members.

TC: Have there been any new initiatives this year?

DP: Honestly for me, no. Because I’ve been in an interim role and I started in August, my goal has really been to understand what’s going on within fraternity and sorority life and if there was any goal, it was to build better relationships both with chapters and councils as well as other University offices. My goal was less about creating shiny new products versus really getting to know who the students are and what their needs are. I think year two would be the time where if there were going to be some shifts or new initiatives, you would see them.

TC: What are your thoughts on creating unity between the councils and within the chapters in the councils?

DP: That’s been in the forefront of my mind all year. I see a lot of Greek pride and a lot of Greek unity within chapters. Before I came here, I worked at all state public institutions with very large greek systems, and one thing for me that’s been very apparent is the need for overall Greek-wide community. So I see it in chapters, but I think there’s more work to be done on the sense of [those in Greek life] feeling like they belong to a larger community. I think creating something where people feel like they belong to a larger group will open up the doors for cross-council collaboration and even within the same council. So more fraternities working with fraternities in IFC, even Panhellenic working closer with IFC. So I see a number of benefits of creating a stronger community within Greek life outside of the chapters.

TC: There’s been a lot of talk about the housing model and ideas to change it. How do you think Greek life fits into housing at Duke?

DP: I think that’s an interesting question. I guess I haven’t fully got a full grasp on how it operates. I think there’s some value in having students live collectively together, and I think one of the questions might be [what] is the best model or what I’ve heard students talking about is the migration to Central Campus, so this whole notion of everybody kind of being in one place. I’ve heard student groups say they miss being on West or there’s some sacrifices to be made. So I don't really know what the answer is there nor do I have any definitive ideas on what would make this better. I think students should be having a voice in this decision. I’m looking forward to those kinds of discussions because when Central Campus is shut down and new buildings are built, we need to think proactively.

TC: Fraternities in IFC facing disciplinary action has become commonplace at Duke. What are your thoughts on this?

DP: Our role here in this office is to advise sororities and fraternities and hold them accountable, and while we are not the student conduct arm of this University, we do have a role in helping both men and women understand their role on campus, their role as an organization and what the parameters are. I think we play an important role in that. I don't feel like this year there has been an increase in the number of disciplinary problems. I would say they actually may be lower, and if there's one thing I think most of the chapters within IFC would know is that I believe in accountability and I believe that when they make mistakes, they have to be forthright about that, and they have to take corrective actions to maintain their organizational role on campus.

TC: We’ve previously reported on the IFC’s sexual assault prevention team and the fact that they haven’t produced any tangible results. Do you know what their plans are?

DP: This is a very good question. What I’ll say is this. I think IFC has a lot of work to do this upcoming year. I would say there was less work this year than I think they can produce. While I was not involved in the committee nor asked to join or be part of the committee, I have my first meeting coming up with some of the leadership of that committee. In moving forward, I will have a role in some capacity in helping them navigate this topic. I’m not saying I have to be at the table all the time or that I’m leading this group. But as much as they will have a relationship with the Women’s Center or the [Student Wellness Center], an equal part is a relationship with our office. I think the best way that this team will be successful is not by isolating themselves but by partnering both with our offices and with the offices that we know would be the experts and collaborators in creating a successful group of students to move forward on the issue of sexual assault prevention. 

Share and discuss “OFSL director David Pittman talks challenges of overseeing Greek life on campus” on social media.