Rhode Island men's basketball 2016-17 season preview

Rhode Island Rams

Overall record: 17-15, 9-9 in the Atlantic 10

Head coach: Dan Hurley

Tenure at Rhode Island: 5th season

Career coaching record: 100-86

Home court: Ryan Center

Starters: G Jarvis Garrett, G E.C. Matthews, G Jared Terrell, F Kuran Iverson, F Hassan Martin

Bench: G Stanford Robinson, F Andre Berry, F Mike Layssard

Overview: Just minutes into its opening game a year ago, Rhode Island had its season turned on its head as star guard E.C. Matthews hit the floor and went down with a season-ending knee injury. The injuries for the Rams did not end there as forward Hassan Martin was shut down in March after battling various ailments throughout conference play. But despite losing arguably its two top players, Hurley's squad remained competitive and finished in the middle of the pack in the Atlantic 10. 

With Matthews and Martin returning to the court this year for Rhode Island, the Rams have the potential to win their conference and challenge the Blue Devils if the teams were to meet in the Basketball Hall-of-Fame Tip-Off. Matthews is expected to pick off where he left off in the 2014-15 season, when he averaged 16.9 points and 4.6 rebounds per game, and Martin should provide a reliable post presence on both sides of the ball for Rhode Island. 

But the duo will have some help with the Rams returning most of their key contributors from a season ago. Guards Jared Terrell and Jarvis Garrett will be back after stepping up in Matthews' absence last year to combine for 26.1 points per game and finish as the team's two leading scorers. Forward Kuran Iverson—who was the teams's leading rebounder last season—will be a key cog alongside Martin in the frontcourt and provide the versatility needed to play at multiple positions on the floor. 

With almost all of Rhode Island's rotation comprised of upperclassmen, the Rams could become a popular sleeper pick to make some noise in the NCAA tournament if they can seamlessly reintegrate Matthews on the court. 

One thing that needs to go right: Rhode Island's depth complements the strengths of Matthews and a strong season from the junior helps the Rams finish near the top of their conference.

One thing that could go wrong: Matthews' return forces Terrell and Garrett to take a step back and Rhode Island struggles to find its rhythm throughout an inconsistent regular season. 

Share and discuss “Rhode Island men's basketball 2016-17 season preview ” on social media.