Former Duke student charged with rape

A former Duke student has recently been charged with raping a student from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, which Duke University Police Department said happened in October 2015.

Jeffrey Yoh was charged Sept. 15 with second-degree rape, two counts of second-degree sexual offense, kidnapping and assault by strangulation, according to WRAL.

Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations, said the University has no comment on the case at this time.

According to an investigation report from the Duke University Police Department, the incident took place at 2000 Yearby Ave. in Durham on Oct. 16, 2015. DUPD Chief of Police John Dailey explained that it would be inappropriate for him to further discuss an ongoing case.

Yoh is the grandson of Harold L. "Spike" Yoh, Pratt ‘58 who formerly served as the chair of the Board of Trustees. The Yoh family donated $5 million to a new football center at the University and established the Yoh Family Professorship with a donation of more than $1 million.

According to WRAL, Yoh is no longer enrolled at Duke, but he is listed in the Duke directory under a graduation term of 2017 Spring, which would have put him in his senior year. 

"My client is presumed innocent, and should be treated as such as he contests these charges," wrote Joe Cheshire, Yoh's attorney, in an email.

Yoh was released from jail on a $500,000 secured bond, and made his first court appearance yesterday, according to CBS North Carolina.

View the public portion of DUPD's police report here:

Public Portion of DUPD Report by thedukechronicle on Scribd

This article was updated Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. to include information from Dailey and a copy of the public portion of the police report. 

Share and discuss “Former Duke student charged with rape” on social media.