Duke football cautious with Victory Bell decorations following previous controversy

<p>The Victory Bell's platform was split in half before Thursday's game, but North Carolina planned to spray paint it entirely North Carolina blue if the Tar Heels had emerged victorious.&nbsp;</p>

The Victory Bell's platform was split in half before Thursday's game, but North Carolina planned to spray paint it entirely North Carolina blue if the Tar Heels had emerged victorious. 

Update: Blue Devil Network reporter and former Duke offensive lineman Dave Harding tweeted a picture of the decorated Victory Bell Nov. 29.

For the first time in three years, the Victory Bell will remain in Durham after Duke upset its Tobacco Road rival North Carolina 28-27 Thursday night.

A few years removed from decorating it, the Blue Devils have little idea about what the postgame ritual will entail this time, especially amid the ongoing debate this past week about its design.

For Thursday's matchup, the bell’s platform was decorated half North Carolina blue and half Duke blue in a change from past tradition—normally the game's victor got to spray paint the entire platform. After North Carolina fans and players voiced their displeasure with Tar Heel athletic director Bubba Cunningham's decision, he decided to let North Carolina players bring spray paint to Thursday's game.

Cunningham's decision came after the Tar Heels caused about $25,000 in damages after decorating Wallace Wade Stadium's visitors locker room with spray paint after North Carolina's 45-20 victory in 2014.

Although they were unsure how they would decorate the bell Thursday, the Blue Devils said they would be careful not to go overboard.

“[North Carolina] trashed our locker room,” sophomore wide receiver T.J. Rahming said. “This time, we’re going to do it the right way, a classy way and keep it that way for at least a few more years.”

Duke had the same tradition prior to the 2014 fiasco, but some were not in favor of the spray-painting tradition directly after the win. Following the Blue Devils’ 27-25 win at North Carolina in 2013, Duke head coach David Cutcliffe was not happy with the ensuing chaos.

“I got my shoes ruined and I didn’t know what was happening,” Cutcliffe said. “I think that’s something that we need to look at and let the powers that be talk about that so if it’s painted, it’s going to be appropriately painted.”

It is not just the painting of the Victory Bell that means everything for the Blue Devils, though. 

Some of the veteran players explained how the Victory Bell is a symbol for beating their rival in what has been a hard-fought series recently, with Duke emerging as the victors three of the past five years.

“There is place for it. I had missed it. It’s right around the corner from my locker. Every day I walk by there, which is just about every day I’m in Durham, the absence of where it should be is very vivid,” Cutcliffe said of the Victory Bell. “It should be a war for that bell. They’ve had it for a few years and I’m sure they want it back. That’s the beauty of a trophy game.”

Share and discuss “Duke football cautious with Victory Bell decorations following previous controversy” on social media.