This week in Duke history: Football construction on East Campus

<p>An article in a 1924 issue of The Trinity Chronicle just before Trinity College changed its name detailed renovations to its East Campus football stadium.</p>

An article in a 1924 issue of The Trinity Chronicle just before Trinity College changed its name detailed renovations to its East Campus football stadium.

Duke football is nearing the end of a period of construction projects that have included more seats, a new press box and a 3,175 square-foot scoreboard.

A lot of that can be taken for granted, and one needs only to go back 92 years for some context.

Before Duke played started playing football at Wallace Wade Stadium in 1929, the Blue Devils played on East Campus at Hanes Field. Hanes Field was also home to the baseball team and was located near present-day Baldwin Auditorium.

It also was the first home of the Durham Bulls, before they moved to El Toro Park in 1926.

On October 22, 1924, The Trinity Chronicle previewed Hanes Field’s new scoreboard and bleachers, which were not quite like the ones that exist today.

“The new score board… has some new features and is really the only one of its kind in this section of the country. It will be arranged that anyone can tell the way is going whenever he arrives, even if the game is partly over," the article says. "Not only is an arrangement made for showing the score by quarters, but also what down it is and the number of yards that must be gained to make a first down."

Indeed.

But that wasn’t it, as Trinity football—the Duke Endowment was not established until later that year, resulting in the school's name change—went above and beyond with new bleachers.

“The bleachers were badly needed because the former ones were … old and becoming rotten,” the article says.

We’ll see whether the softball team can top those accommodations next spring when the 27th varsity sport at Duke opens its inaugural season in its own East Campus stadium.

Share and discuss “This week in Duke history: Football construction on East Campus” on social media.