2016 N.C. State football season preview

2015 record: 7-6, 3-5 in the ACC (4th in the Atlantic Division)

Head coach: Dave Doeren (4th season)

Led by head coach Dave Doeren, N.C. State is coming off two straight bowl appearances. But the Wolfpack will have to quickly develop new weapons in the passing game if they want to run that streak to three.

N.C. State, which lost signal-caller Jacoby Brissett to the NFL, faces Notre Dame, Clemson, Louisville and Florida State in a span of five weeks starting in October. That means the Wolfpack can't afford any slip-ups earlier in the season, particularly Sept. 10 at East Carolina, which is now led by former Duke offensive coordinator Scottie Montgomery.

Although N.C. State is searching for playmakers under center and at wide receiver, they return star running back Matthew Dayes and versatile fullback and tight end Jaylen Samuels. The duo should give new offensive coordinator Eli Drinkwitz, a pupil of Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn, options to create more explosive plays, even if they are used as decoys to open up the passing game. Both Jalan McClendon and Ryan Finley are expected to see time at quarterback in the team's opener against William and Mary.

Even if the offense struggles to get the ball downfield as it replaces three starting offensive linemen, a stingy defense led by its front seven should keep the Wolfpack close in most games. N.C. State lost defensive end Mike Rose, but returns every other starter along the defensive line and has depth, allowing the team to bring in fresh bodies to pressure opposing quarterbacks.

The Wolfpack ranked in the top six in the ACC in most major defensive categories, and should be a notch below the conference's elite teams—Clemson, Florida State and Louisville—again in 2016.

Share and discuss “2016 N.C. State football season preview” on social media.