SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Olympics update: Women's soccer star Rebecca Quinn claims Duke's second medal

<p>Rebecca Quinn won Duke's second medal of the 2016 Olympics Friday afternoon.</p>

Rebecca Quinn won Duke's second medal of the 2016 Olympics Friday afternoon.

Shannon Rowbury nearly claimed Duke's second Olympic medal in Rio Tuesday in the 1,500 meters. Instead, a Blue Devil 10 years younger claimed the honor Friday afternoon.

Duke women's soccer defender and midfielder Rebecca Quinn and Canada took down host nation Brazil 2-1 Friday afternoon. Canada won its first four games in Rio de Janeiro before falling 2-0 to Germany in the semifinals, but bounced back to claim its second straight Olympic bronze medal.

An All-ACC performer, Quinn played in Canada's first four Olympic wins, starting two matches and posting an assist on a free kick from midfield in a 2-1 group-stage win against Germany. The preseason first-team All-ACC selection did not play in the semifinal loss to Germany or Friday afternoon.

The win completes a long journey with the national team for Quinn, who took the spring 2015 semester off to train with the national team, only to be the last player cut before Canada hosted the 2015 World Cup. The versatile 5-foot-9 player stayed motivated, playing in the Pan American Games that summer, earning All-ACC honors last fall, taking the spring semester off again in 2016 and making the Olympic roster in June.

Quinn turned 21 Aug. 11, and has received plenty of support from her teammates in Durham, who will take on Wofford Friday at 5 p.m. in their season opener. 

Her medal win comes six days after former Duke fencing standout Ibtihaj Muhammad won a bronze medal in the team saber competition.

Five other Blue Devils have finished competition in Rio—diver and medical student Abby Johnston, her coach Nunzio Esposto, former field hockey standout Stefanie Fee, former women's basketball player Lindsey Harding and Rowbury.

Johnston finished 12th in the 3-meter individual diving event to cap off her illustrious career, Fee and Team USA advanced to the quarterfinals and Harding and Belarus failed to advance out of group play in women's basketball.

More detailed recaps of the Olympics for Johnston, Esposto and Harding can be viewed here

A three-time Olympian, Rowbury came close to capturing her first Olympic medal and becoming the first American to medal in the 1,500 meters, but teammate Jenny Simpson outlasted the former Duke star down the stretch to claim the bronze medal instead. The American record holder in the event, Rowbury added the fourth-place finish to her seventh- and sixth-place finishes from 2008 and 2012, respectively. 

Men's basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski, associate head coach Jeff Capel and former Duke point guard Kyrie Irving will look to add to Duke's 2016 medal total when they take on Spain at 2:30 p.m. Friday in the semifinals. With a win, the U.S. will advance to Sunday's Olympic final. 

Women's golfers Leona Maguire and Laetitia Beck are the other two Duke competitors still going in Rio. The duo completed the second of four rounds Thursday. A junior with the Blue Devils and the top amateur in the world, Maguire currently sits at even par and tied for 27th. 

Beck, a 2014 national champion, stands three strokes over par and is tied for 35th. The women's golf competition concludes Sunday before the Olympics conclude.

Share and discuss “Olympics update: Women's soccer star Rebecca Quinn claims Duke's second medal” on social media.