2016 NCAA tournament preview: CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners

CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners

Record: 24-8 (11-3 WAC)

Head Coach: Rod Barnes (5th season)

Season Recap: With a buzzer-beating 3-pointer against New Mexico State, CSU Bakersfield won the WAC and clinched their first ever NCAA tournament berth. The Roadrunners are already playing spoiler, having prevented the Aggies from making their fifth straight NCAA tournament appearance with that shot.

CSU Bakersfield has been consistently strong throughout its entire season, mostly against teams from outside the Power Five conferences. The Roadrunners are led in scoring by senior Aly Ahmed, senior Kevin Mays and junior Dedrick Basile, who can take credit for the shot that earned CSU Bakersfield its NCAA tournament berth.

How they make a run: A combination of stellar offensive play and an off-day from their opponent—second-seeded Oklahoma—is the Roadrunners’ best chance of advancing in the tournament. Ahmed, Mays and Basile continue to put up numbers against stronger opponents, and CSU Bakersfield makes some noise against the Sooners.

How they falter: The inexperienced Roadrunners are unable to pick up their play to the demands of the NCAA tournament, and the team gets bounced in its opening game against a powerhouse Oklahoma squad.

Jacob Weiss

Jacob Weiss is a Trinity senior. His column, "not jumping to any conclusions," runs on alternate Fridays.

Share and discuss “2016 NCAA tournament preview: CSU Bakersfield Roadrunners” on social media.