2016 ACC Tournament Preview: Boston College

<p>Florida transfer Eli Carter provides a steady hand in the backcourt for a Boston College team that went winless in ACC regular-season play.</p>

Florida transfer Eli Carter provides a steady hand in the backcourt for a Boston College team that went winless in ACC regular-season play.

Boston College: 7-24, 0-18 in the ACC

Head Coach: Jim Christian

Leading Scorer: Eli Carter (15.8 PPG)

Season Recap: Boston College set records this season, though not in a good way. The Eagles became the first major conference school in 39 years to go winless in conference play in both men’s basketball and football. But Boston College has hung around in a handful of conference games this season, most notably dropping games to N.C. State on a buzzer-beater and top-seeded North Carolina by just three points.

The Eagles are led by elder statesmen in Florida transfer Eli Carter and center Dennis Clifford, who averaged 9.8 points and 7.3 rebounds per game during the regular season. Christian's second season did not go nearly as planned, but his squad has been playing some of its better basketball of late, falling to almost beat Georgia Tech and the aforementioned one-point loss to the Wolfpack. Raleigh, N.C., native Jerome Robinson missed nine games in the middle of ACC action but returned to score 15.5 points per game in Boston College's last two games of the regular season.

How They Make a Run: A run for the ages will only materialize if Boston College buckles down defensively against an explosive Florida State squad. If the Eagles can break into the win column against the Seminoles, they will go up against a surprise Virginia Tech squad that is playing its best basketball of the season. Carter will need to shoulder the offensive load and Clifford must avoid foul trouble for Boston College to keep chugging along in Washington.

Share and discuss “2016 ACC Tournament Preview: Boston College” on social media.