XFactor: Duke basketball vs Yale

After a win against 13th-seeded UNC Wilmington Thursday, Duke will look to take down Yale for the second time this season Saturday at 2:40 p.m. in Providence, R.I. The Blue Devils defeated the Bulldogs 80-61 back on Nov. 25 in Cameron Indoor Stadium, but both teams are vastly different now—with both losing captains for the season in Amile Jefferson for Duke and Jack Montague for Yale. Before the game, the Chronicle takes a look at one player from each team who could be the difference maker in the upcoming contest.

Duke: guard Derryck Thornton

In the Bulldogs' 79-75 upset victory against fifth-seeded Baylor, Yale point guard Makai Mason led the charge with 31 points, continuously gashing the Bears’ defense off the bounce and from the perimeter. Thornton will be tasked with locking down Mason Saturday, even if the guard comes off the bench for the Blue Devils. With a limited bench, Thornton will likely spend ample time matched up on the Bulldogs' floor general who stands an inch shorter than him. 

The Chatsworth, Calif., native was quiet in Duke’s first matchup against the Bulldogs, scoring only six points and committing three personal fouls. But Thornton’s offensive presence has grown throughout the season, highlighted by a key layup in traffic to help cement the Blue Devils’ first round victory against the Seahawks. Duke will need Thornton to showcase his defensive talent and chip in offensively to reach the Sweet 16 for the second straight year.

Yale: forward Justin Sears

Although Mason deserves the majority of the credit for his team's upset victory against Baylor, Sears—the Ivy League’s Player of the Year—was also a difference-maker for Yale. Tasked with limiting an imposing Bears frontcourt, Sears scored 18 points and aided a team effort on the boards that finished with a 36-32 advantage against Baylor despite dealing with the forward's foul trouble throughout the second half.

The senior captain is the heart and soul of the Yale squad and without Jefferson, the Blue Devils have struggled to contain opposing big men. As long as Sears can stay out of foul trouble while matched up against either Duke center Marshall Plumlee—who had a career-high 23 points against the Seahawks—or the versatile Brandon Ingram, the forward could light up the Blue Devils and allow Yale's offense to help the team hang in the game. If Sears can frustrate Duke with his ability to score in the paint and hit midrange jumpers, the Bulldogs are capable of reaching the Sweet 16 for the first time in their program’s history.

Share and discuss “XFactor: Duke basketball vs Yale” on social media.