Chronicle Sportswrap: February 1, 2016

The Chronicle's Jack Dolgin recaps the weekend in Duke athletics. With no basketball games from Friday to Sunday, the focus well on the tennis teams, which both took on Northwestern. The Duke women prevailed 4-3 on the road, but the men fell 5-2 Sunday at home. In other action, North Carolina spoiled the Blue Devils' Senior Day in the pool, and Duke wrestling picked up two victories in Washington, downing Columbia and American.

Duke women's basketball dominates Pittsburgh in the paint for fourth straight win: Sophomore Azurá Stevens dominated the scoring in the early going, notching 16 of Duke’s 34 first-half points as Duke continued its hot streak Thursday, knocking off Pittsburgh 70-48 at the Petersen Events Center.

Duke to begin metal detector screening at men's basketball games: Duke will begin metal detector screening at men's basketball games at Cameron Indoor Stadium beginning Feb. 6 against N.C. State, the athletics department announced Friday.

Q&A: Progress continues on Blue Devil Tower, Cameron Indoor: The Chronicle's Ryan Hoerger spoke with Mike Cragg—deputy director of athletics for operations—about progress on the construction projects across the athletics campus.

Duke wrestling downs Columbia and America with healthy roster: With election season in full swing, the Blue Devils hit the campaign trail to the nation’s capital and scored two key midseason victories inside the Beltway.

Duke men's tennis falls 4-3 to No. 7 Illinois: No. 7 Illinois defeated No. 24 Duke 4-3 Friday night at the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center in a showdown between two highly touted teams.

Duke men's tennis suffers fourth straight loss against No. 21 Northwestern: No. 24 Duke fell to No. 21 Northwestern Sunday at the Sheffield Indoor Tennis Center, dropping a 5-2 decision and remaining winless against ranked opponents.

Duke women's tennis survives at Northwestern: After dropping the doubles point, the No. 14 Blue Devils recovered to take four of six singles points to defeat Northwestern 4-3 at the Wildcats’ Combe Tennis Center in Evanston, Ill.

North Carolina outpaces Duke swimming on Senior Day: After years of uncompetitive, one-sided dual meets, the Blue Devils finally gave the Tar Heels a run for their money, coming up short but resetting several pool records on Senior Day Saturday.

Filipczak's return highlights Duke track and field's weekend at Camel City Invitational: This weekend’s meet got most of the Duke squad back on the track after a one-weekend hiatus. But for one Blue Devil, the competition marked a comeback nearly two years in the making.

Fisher, di Tella highlight Duke fencing's success at Northwestern Duals: Propelled by Haley Fisher’s 25 wins, the Duke women posted an 8-3 record this weekend at the Northwestern Duals. On the men's side, Pascual di Tella’s 20-7 ledger led the No. 9 Blue Devils to an 8-2 record.

Duke women's lacrosse starts strong in scrimmages: Head coach Kerstin Kimel’s squad started the season at home in Koskinen Stadium with a double-header and no official score, but plenty of energy.

Quote of the Week:

"I’m going to have to find out what Wheaties he’s been eating"

—Duke head coach David Cutcliffe, on former Blue Devil kicker Ross Martin's 60-yard field goal during Senior Bowl practice

Share and discuss “Chronicle Sportswrap: February 1, 2016” on social media.