HALFTIME: Notre Dame 35, Duke 27

Heading into Monday’s contest with No. 3 Notre Dame, it appeared as if the Blue Devils were hitting their stride, riding a four-game winning streak.

But so far, the Fighting Irish have done everything they need to stay one step ahead of Duke.

After two quarters of play, Notre Dame leads the Blue Devils 35-27 at Cameron Indoor Stadium, guided by freshman Arike Ogunbowale’s 12 points. Duke has been buoyed by big first halves from sophomore Azurá Stevens and redshirt sophomore Rebecca Greenwell. The dynamic duo combined for 19 of the team's 27 points and all four Blue Devil 3-pointers.

The Blue Devils have struggled to contain the Fighting Irish on the defensive end, allowing Notre Dame to score 14 points in the paint. Notre Dame also holds an 8-0 edge in fast-break points, generating easy looks for sophomore Brianna Turner under the basket. The Fighting Irish grew the lead to as many as 13, but triples from Greenwell and Stevens brought Duke within striking distance.

Here are some observations from the first half:

• Notre Dame’s bench has out performed Duke's so far. The Fighting Irish reserves have combined for 16 points compared to the Blue Devils’ seven. Duke reserves managed just three total points in the last two games.
  • Freshman Angela Salvadores and Notre Dame's Lindsay Allen were whistled for technical fouls near the end of the first half after some extracurricular activities while going for a jump ball.
  • Allen banked in a jumper at the buzzer to arrive at the halftime score.
  • Notre Dame missed their first four attempts from beyond the arc and finished the half just 4-of-13 from long range.

Share and discuss “HALFTIME: Notre Dame 35, Duke 27” on social media.