The Chronicle's Top 10: Tyus Jones leads Blue Devils past North Carolina 92-90 in OT

With the end of 2015 quickly approaching, The Chronicle's sports department takes a look back at the biggest sports stories of the year. Each day, The Blue Zone will review a major game, event or storyline that helped shape the course of the year in Blue Devil athletics.

Coming in at No. 6 on our list: Duke's stunning overtime win against North Carolina at Cameron Indoor Stadium Feb. 18.

The Blue Devils' 2014-15 regular season was filled with magical moments, perhaps none as emotional as Duke's comeback 92-90 overtime win against its rival at home Feb. 18.

Less than three weeks after engineering a late comeback on the road to deal then-No. 2 Virginia its first loss of the season, the Blue Devils overcame a seven-point deficit in the final 1:38 of regulation at Cameron Indoor Stadium to stun Roy Wiliams' Tar Heel squad. Point guard Tyus Jones led the charge, pouring in nine points down the stretch to tie the game with 27 seconds left and continuing the momentum in overtime.

Jones and fellow guard Quinn Cook—who knocked down six 3-pointers in his final home game against North Carolina—each scored 22 points in the dramatic win, which came even though star center Jahlil Okafor suffered an ankle injury in the first half but returned to make some critical baskets late in the game. Jones and Cook outscored the Tar Heel backcourt of Marcus Paige and Justin Jackson 44-7.

After starting the game on a 15-6 run, Duke fell behind early in the second half as North Carolina took advantage of its strength inside and the activity of swingman J.P. Tokoto, who finished with 15 points, eight rebounds and seven assists. Role players Matt Jones and Amile Jefferson made big plays down the stretch to keep the Blue Devils close before Jones' late heroics, which allowed head coach Mike Krzyzewski's team to overcome a 16-of-31 effort from the free throw line and the Tar Heels' offensive rebounding. Led by big men Kennedy Meeks and Brice Johnson—who combined for 36 points and 19 rebounds—North Carolina rebounded 40 percent of its misses.

Duke's improbable comeback was the team's sixth straight win. The Blue Devils went on to win their final five games of the regular season, including an 84-77 win on the road against the Tar Heels in their last game to cap off a 28-3 campaign.

READ MORE on The Chronicle's coverage of the first Duke-North Carolina game of 2015:

Check back tomorrow to see what comes in at No. 5 in our countdown of the top Duke sports stories of 2015.

A look at the rest of our top 10 countdown to date:

10. Rebecca Greenwell extends Elizabeth Williams' last dance against Albany

9. A look at Tommy John at Duke and beyond

8. The end of one era; the start of two more

7. Out with the new, in with the newer

Share and discuss “The Chronicle's Top 10: Tyus Jones leads Blue Devils past North Carolina 92-90 in OT” on social media.