Georgia Southern basketball 2015-16 preview

Georgia Southern Eagles

2014-15 record: 22-9, 14-6 in the Sun Belt Conference

Head Coach: Mark Byington

Tenure at Georgia Southern: 3rd season

Career Coaching record: 44-32

Home Court: Hanner Fieldhouse

Starters: G Mike Hughes, G Jake Allsmiller, G Coye Simmons, F Shawn O’Connell, F Montae Glenn

Bench: G Devonte Boykins, G Tookie Brown, G Devince Boykins

Overview: In its first season in the Sun Belt Conference, Georgia Southern rode the backs of senior Jelani Hewitt and company for a second-place regular-season finish and an appearance in the conference championship. But the Eagles fell just a 3-pointer short of making the NCAA tournament to Kevin Ware and Georgia State, which ultimately advanced to the Round of 32.

Georgia Southern has lost a whopping 11 players, returns just four and is projected to finish 10th in the conference. One of the youngest teams in the country—featuring just one upperclassmen, who is a transfer—the Eagles will have to turn to returning starters Mike Hughes and Jake Allsmiller for production. This guard-heavy team opens with two SEC matchups before it makes its third-ever trek to Durham on 12 days rest.

One thing that needs to go right: Hughes—who played the second most minutes for the team last year, and was fourth in points and third in rebounds—must step up with so many players gone.

One thing that could go wrong: Not a single forward or center returns for the Eagles. If they do not get immediate assistance from newcomers O’Connel, Glenn and Burnell, they could be in for a long season.

Share and discuss “Georgia Southern basketball 2015-16 preview” on social media.