Making the Grade: Duke football vs. Virginia

<p>Virginia's Taquan "Smoke" Mizzell accounted for three of Virginia's six touchdowns Saturday as the Cavaliers torched the Blue Devils with several explosive plays.</p>

Virginia's Taquan "Smoke" Mizzell accounted for three of Virginia's six touchdowns Saturday as the Cavaliers torched the Blue Devils with several explosive plays.

The Blue Devils dropped their fourth consecutive game Saturday afternoon, falling to Virginia 42-34 despite an encouraging fourth quarter comeback effort. Heading into the fourth quarter down by three scores, backup quarterback Parker Boehme rallied the team, but a potential game-tying drive was halted on Virginia’s six-yard line. With the loss, the Blue Devils fell to 3-4 in the ACC and will look to finish regular season play on a high note against Wake Forest next weekend.

Offense: B-

Pass: After missing last week’s game against Pittsburgh, starting quarterback Thomas Sirk returned for the Blue Devils. Although many predicted that his return would revive the struggling Duke offense, Sirk struggled as he went 22-of-34 for 207 yards with a touchdown and one interception through three quarters. Sirk overthrew a wide-open Max McCaffrey on the game's opening drive, missing out on an opportunity for Duke to gain momentum in the game's early minutes. The Blue Devil passing attack awoke with the insertion of backup Parker Boehme, as he led Duke in a comeback effort from three scores down in the fourth quarter.

Freshman wideout T.J. Rahming emerged from a mid-season slump, registering a game-high 12 receptions for 190 yards and a touchdown. Late in the game, Rahming made an impressive juggling catch over two defenders to continue a scoring drive and was a bright spot for offensive coordinator Scottie Montgomery’s unit.

Rush: Duke’s rushing attack was not able to make its mark on the game, due in part to the deep hole the Blue Devils found themselves in after the first 15 minutes. Virginia’s front seven did a good job wrapping up Duke running backs within two yards of the line of scrimmage. To make matters worse, on the Blue Devils’ longest rush of the day, running back Jela Duncan coughed up the ball, which led to another Cavalier score.

X’s and O’s: With Virginia’s defensive front generating pressure, Montgomery was forced roll out both of his quarterbacks in order to give them enough time to deliver the ball down the field. Because the Blue Devils fell behind early in the game, the offense was very pass-oriented—for good reason.

Defense: C-

Pass: After last season’s sterling performance against the Blue Devils, Virginia quarterback Matt Johns had his way once again with the Duke secondary, registering a career-best 344 yards. The Cavaliers threw for three touchdowns, with the first coming on a wide receiver pass during a trick play. The pass defense buckled down in the fourth quarter, but its performance in the first three quarters did not give Duke enough stops to win the game.

Rush: After an uncharacteristic targeting ejection by star safety Jeremy Cash, the run defense buckled down. The Cavaliers tried to run out the clock in the fourth quarter, but the Blue Devils made key stops to give the offense a chance to make things happen. Linebacker Dwayne Norman stepped up in the fourth quarter, making a couple of clutch tackles to give the ball back to the Duke offense.

X’s and O’s: Defensive coordinator Jim Knowles struggled to hide the Blue Devils’ defensive deficiencies in pass coverage. Because Duke was not able to generate any pressure with its defensive linemen, Knowles dialed up a steady diet of blitzes, but the Cavalier offensive line held strong.

Special teams: A

Duke’s special teams unit kept the team within striking distance heading into halftime, as it was buoyed by a 94-yard kickoff return touchdown from star returner DeVon Edwards. Edwards has cemented his status as one of the top kick returners in all of college football with his third touchdown of the season on special teams. Kicker Ross Martin was consistent, making both field goals and all of his extra points.

Share and discuss “Making the Grade: Duke football vs. Virginia” on social media.