Ross Martin shakes off another 2-miss outing against Hokies

BLACKSBURG, Va.—Entering Saturday’s contest at Virginia Tech, Duke kicker Ross Martin had established himself as one of the premier kickers in the nation for the second straight year.

Martin was a perfect 12-of-12 on field goals in the Blue Devils’ first six games of the season, earning numerous midseason accolades and playing an integral role in Duke’s 5-1 start to the season while cementing his name in the Blue Devil record books.

But just as was the case last year when the Solon, Ohio, native took the field against the Hokies, Martin’s perfect season was undone Saturday afternoon.

With Duke leading 14-10 late in the second quarter, Martin hooked a 29-yard field goal, and after converting a 41-yard attempt early in the fourth quarter, the three-time All-ACC performer knocked a potential game-winning field goal from 46 yards off the right upright with 1:04 left in regulation.

But like the rest of his teammates Saturday in Blacksburg, Martin remained focused when he got the chance to redeem himself in the historic four overtimes that followed regulation, converting field goals in the first and third extra sessions to help the Blue Devils claim the 45-43 victory.

"It’s a short memory. Whatever happened on the previous play doesn’t change how you are as a player on the next play,” Martin said on handling his misses. "It has no bearing on any trends or slumps—that’s jut not a thing. It’s one singular moment in time, and you’ve got to move forward.”

Head coach David Cutcliffe said that his team’s response to the misses reflected its maturity—noting that he heard the right things from leaders like safety Jeremy Cash and the rest of the coaching staff.

Martin has missed just four field goals in the past two seasons—all against the Hokies—so the Blue Devils still feel good about their chances to convert in the red zone when their offense falters.

"Ross is a great kicker. You know it’s in his mind a year ago, basically the same thing [happened],” Cutcliffe said. "I just told him a few minutes ago [after the game]—I said ‘Ross, let me tell you a good thing—you don’t have to play Virginia Tech again. He’s a great kicker, he prepares well. Sometimes you just miss.”

Share and discuss “Ross Martin shakes off another 2-miss outing against Hokies” on social media.