USA Today: Krzyzewski called Chris Burns to congratulate him after the Bryant assistant came out as gay

Duke plays Bryant Nov. 14 in its second game of the season. But the Blue Devils and Bulldogs are already making headlines off the court.

Bryant assistant Chris Burns became the first active Division I men's basketball coach to come out as gay—his story was captured by USA Today and can be read here.

According to USA Today, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski was among those to call Burns after hearing the news. Krzyzewski reportedly reached out to Burns—nine times—to congratulate him.

"My message to him is, first off, congratulations, I'm very proud of you," Krzyzewski told USA Today. "Next, please know you'll be accepted by your brothers in the sport of men's basketball. You're included now in a very strong way. I think this will be something coaches in our sport will love."

In April, Krzyzewski joined the three other head coaches participating in this year's Final Four in releasing a joint statement concerning Indiana's Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which critics argued would allow businesses to discriminate against LGBTQ individuals. Krzyzewski said he would not talk about social issues at his last press conference in Durham before departing for Indianapolis, but was supportive of Burns and his decision to come forward.

"I don't think it will hinder him from advancing in this sport," Krzyzewski told USA Today. "In fact, I think [coming out] will help. Because I think to advance, you need to be yourself and be who you are. That's just being honest. People—players and coaches—they embrace honesty. He's an amazing example for others to be honest with themselves. He'll be much more successful because he'll be himself and not trying to impersonate anyone else."

Share and discuss “USA Today: Krzyzewski called Chris Burns to congratulate him after the Bryant assistant came out as gay” on social media.