Your America, my America

I have a question.

But first, can you hear me? Am I heard? If so, can you be honest? I need you to be honest. Can you do that for me?

I have a question.

But first, can you divorce yourself from the media? Can you create your own thoughts? I need you to think for yourself. Could you do that for me? Please?

I have a question. But I’m almost too scared to ask. But I need to ask. I’m going to ask.

My question? What is your America?

No, I’m not asking about what you do in your America or the coordinates of your America. I’m asking you to describe to me how your America looks. I’m asking what your America believes in and who She believes belongs here. I’m asking because it has become pretty clear that your America has no room for my America.

My America, as advocated by my Muslim, Arab parents, has long served as a national beacon of diversity. It was built upon an interfaith foundation and it has afforded me opportunities to grow, learn and experience. My America is built upon a deeply rooted desire for justice, even if we fall short. My America values service and liberty and my America is what President Thomas Jefferson said over 200 years ago:

"If a Nation expects to be ignorant and free in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be. If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."

My parents believed in President Jefferson’s vision, and encouraged us to learn from our community and the history that made it. So, I became a member of my school’s predominantly Christian choir, my sister frequently attended the local church for discussion groups, my brother was a boy scout and we all participated in Black History commemorations. And, with video recorder in hand, my parents never missed a single event. Even if they worried whether our conclusions about life would end up matching their own. They didn’t teach us to tolerate our community. They taught us to love our community. And more than anything, they encouraged us to never stop learning about it.

But I can’t say this has been reciprocated. Aside from years of backlash for mom’s hijab or dad’s accent or the letters and snide and deceptive remarks that urged us to not move in to our newly built home, my family continues to experience a different America—a less of what America could be for them. And this is not just my family. This is virtually every group that does not fit the paradigm this country holds on a pedestal.

And I don’t have to look too far back to see the implications of this man made American idol in this falsely woven narrative.

The most recent consequence of this rigid narrative is the Chapel Hill shootings of Deah Barakat, his wife, Yusor Mohammad Abu-Salha and her sister Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha. These three young and talented individuals were sources of love and service in their schools, communities and families, and truly sought to make both their local and distant communities a better place. A video by the murderer's wife, who has now filed for divorce, and the murderer's lawyer attempted to piece my America back together by offering answers to the incident.

It is remarkably easy to believe the dominant and prominent narrative. When watching the video, I found myself contemplating the rationale of the murderer. But I was quickly shaken awake to its ludicrousness. It’s clear how one can manipulate a situation to align with a particular agenda. The lawyer argues that the three victims were at the “wrong place at the wrong time,” although they were inside their home. Secondly, the lawyer says, “It is a simple matter [that] has nothing to do with the religious faith of the victims. It has nothing to do with terrorism.” But there is nothing simple about taking not one, not two, but three lives. And by North Carolina’s definition, terrorism is an act of violence or force against a person. I’d say execution style killings count as acts of violence. Lastly, the lawyer said, “In my personal opinion....This highlights the importance of access to mental health care and removing the stigma in our society so people can ask for the help they need." Yet again, we are told a white man can’t be a terrorist if he’s mentally ill. Also, what historical, psychological or medical background allows him to assert his opinion? I cringed as his words fed millions of peoples’ shallowly reasoned and misinformed opinions.

And we can’t say this is only ignorant America. This is seen in our universities, too. Earlier this semester, I received a call from my sister telling me that a group of Muslim families in Mississippi were writing a response to Professor Carol M. Swain, a professor of political science and law at Vanderbilt University. Professor Swain published a column arguing that the Charlie Hebdo attacks prove that Islam “poses an absolute danger to us and our children unless it is monitored.” For Americans to be “safe,” Swain suggests some guidelines for Muslims—“Civic education and other indicators of assimilation should be prerequisite for remaining and advancing in this nation.” When an individual holds so much power, it is essential she or he use it in the most productive way. What Swain did, however, is encourage the marginalization and dehumanization of Muslims. She painted an image of what America looks like, and it is clear that Muslims did not make it into this picture. My younger brother is downright American. He’s a sports fanatic, hip-hop loving freshman at Vanderbilt, and I can’t help but wonder how many people Swain already influenced in developing subtle or unconscious bias or even worse, outright hatred against him simply for the culture/faith he identifies with.The Chapel Hill shootings and the Vanderbilt professor’s article are just two events of a much longer story. In the past week alone, there have been several threats and attacks on brown, black and other-ed bodies, but rather than discussing each event, I want to shed light on the culture in which they’re precipitating out of. These prejudices are rooted in knowledge that individuals, both those with PhDs and those without— perpetuate. I’m all for free speech, but people should be held accountable if their speech inflicts harm to a community. We cannot sit idle as people deliberately spread false stereotypes that contribute to the damage and dehumanization of a community.

To dispel ignorance out of our country, I urge you to live out Thomas Jefferson’s quote:

“If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."

It is not only up to Muslims to tackle Islamophobia, or Black Americans to fight racism or LBGTQ activists to fight for equal rights. It’s up to all of us to fight ignorance with education.

So, I ask again.

What is your America?

But first, am I seen yet? Are you hearing me? Am I still just a #hashtag or do I actually matter now? Are you being honest? Can you create your own thoughts? I need you to think for yourself. Could you do that for me? Please?

Forget about what journalism says or what your professor says or even what your family says. Can you search within and locate those prejudices? Can you confront them before they confront us, before they precipitate in a human interaction? I need you to be honest. I need you to ask yourself what is your America and if I will honestly ever have a place in it.

Leena El-Sadek is a Trinity senior. Her column runs every other Wednesday.

Share and discuss “Your America, my America” on social media.