The road to Tampa: Women's basketball update, Week 9

Things stabilized a bit this week in the women's basketball world, but there were still a few top-25 showdowns and a top-five upset that could have major implications:

The biggest statement of the week was made in the Big 12 when Oklahoma upset No. 4 Texas 70-59 Wednesday in the Red River Rivalry in Norman, Okla. Longhorn center Nneka Enemkpali had 21 points and 16 rebounds, but Texas shot just 26.2 percent from the field and had 18 turnovers en route to its second straight loss after starting the season 13-0. The win was a big one for the Sooners, who are just 10-5 but now boast a 4-0 record in conference play. No. 16 Duke beat Oklahoma Dec. 20 92-72.

The Longhorns are not the only top-15 sliding, though. No. 15 Mississippi State fell 71-69 in double overtime Thursday to Louisiana State, which got 24 points and 10 rebounds from Danielle Ballard. Ballard made the go-ahead shot in the second overtime to hand the Bulldogs, who started the season 18-0 but have now lost two straight, their second loss in five days.

The Tigers showed their upset Thursday might not have just been a fluke Sunday, though, when Ballard poured in 25 points, five assists and five steals to lead her team past No. 10 Kentucky 84-79. Ballard missed Louisiana State's first 14 games due to a suspension, but has returned to spark two huge wins.

Thursday also featured a top-15 ACC showdown between No. 7 Notre Dame and No. 12 North Carolina, with both teams coming off of disappointing losses a week ago. The Fighting Irish were able to come out on top 89-79 in Chapel Hill, N.C., getting a monster 29-point, 18-rebound, seven-block performance from freshman Brianna Turner. The 6-foot-3 forward won the battle down low with Tar Heel forward Stephanie Mavunga. and Notre Dame shot 63 percent after halftime to overcome an 11-point first-half deficit and move to 4-1 in the ACC.

In the week's only other matchup of top 25 teams, No. 8 Maryland knocked off No. 24 Rutgers 71-59 Thursday. Laurin Mincey led the way for the Terrapins with 24 points, seven rebounds and six assists and Maryland used a 16-4 run to seize control after the Scarlet Knights tied the game at 42. With the win, the Terrapins moved to 5-0 in conference play and Rutgers fell to 3-3 in the Big Ten.

ACC game to watch: No. 16 Duke at No. 12 North Carolina, Sunday, Jan. 25, 5 p.m.; No. 4 Louisville at No. 20 Florida State, Thursday, Jan. 22, 7 p.m.

Rivals in rank: No. 4 Texas at No. 3 Baylor, Monday, Jan. 19, 6:30 p.m.; No. 6 Tennessee at No. 7 Notre Dame, Monday, Jan. 19, 7 p.m.; No. 14 Arizona State at No. 13 Stanford, Monday, Jan. 19, 6 p.m.; No. 9 Oregon State at No. 14 Arizona State, Sunday, Jan. 25, 4 p.m.

Upset alert: Washington at No. 9 Oregon State, Monday, Jan. 19, 8 p.m.; No. 11 Texas A&M at No. 18 Georgia, Thursday, Jan. 22, 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “The road to Tampa: Women's basketball update, Week 9” on social media.