HALFTIME: Arizona State 20, Duke 17

EL PASO, TEXAS—The Sun Devils got off to the hot start, but the Blue Devils have responded in a hurry at Sun Bowl Stadium.

Led by redshirt senior quarterback Taylor Kelly—who was 16-of-22 for 163 yards—Arizona State scored on its first four possessions and took a 20-3 lead as the Duke offense sputtered. Kelly has completed passes to eight different receivers already and the Sun Devils added 98 rushing yards to keep the Blue Devil defense off balance.

But Duke responded after the early onslaught, as junior running back Shaquille Powell sparked a 78-yard scoring drive with hard running and two big receptions and senior Jamison Crowder had a 68-yard punt return touchdown to get the Blue Devils back within three late in the half.

Duke's defense was able to hold at the end of the half and will look to continue its momentum after finally stopping the Sun Devils on the first possession of the second half.

After finding their footing, the Blue Devils are in position for their first bowl win in 54 seasons with a strong second-half performance. Duke took all of the momentum into the locker room after 14 unanswered points.

Observations from the first half:

• Duke redshirt senior quarterback Anthony Boone struggled to start the game, going just 1-of-4 for five yards on Duke's first 2 possessions and missing wide receiver Jamison Crowder twice on open throws that would have moved the chains.
  • On their third possession, the Blue Devils finally got going on the ground and picked up a field goal thanks to a timely scramble from Boone and strong running from Powell.
  • The Duke defense struggled mightily to start the game against Arizona State's tempo. The Blue Devils were unable to contain Arizona State's running game and got burned deep by All-American Jaelen Strong for 49 yards on the Sun Devils' second possession. The big play set up a field goal. Strong finished with five receptions for 86 yards in the opening half.
  • Duke's aggressive blitzing, man-to-man defense finally paid dividends when safety DeVon Edwards sacked Kelly on Arizona State's third possession and forced him to fumble inside the 10. Although the Sun Devils recovered, the Blue Devils held the Arizona State to another field goal to keep themselves within 10 early in the second quarter.
  • Powell had two receptions for 46 yards on the Blue Devils' 78-yard scoring drive that made the score 20-10 late in the half. The Las Vegas native carried the Duke offense in the first half, racking up 50 rushing yards on 10 carries in addition to his 46 receiving yards.
  • The Blue Devil defense got its first stop on Arizona State's fifth possession to set up Crowder's punt return touchdown, then held again at the end of the half.
  • After Crowder's huge punt return, Evrett Edwards appeared to intercept Kelly, but the play was overturned. Neither team committed a turnover in the opening period.
  • Duke got back in the game, but needs stronger play from Boone, who finished the half 6-of-13 for 76 yards and the touchdown to Powell on a swing pass.
  • Edwards led the way on defense, finishing with 10 tackles and the huge sack and forced fumble. Defensive end Jordan DeWalt-Ondijo also sacked Kelly and forced a fumble that was recovered by Arizona State on the last possession of the half.

Share and discuss “HALFTIME: Arizona State 20, Duke 17” on social media.