SPORTS  |  GOLF

Duke women's golf ready to kick off fall season at Cougar Classic

Junior Celine Boutier—2013-14 National Player of the Year—will not join the Blue Devils at the Cougar Classic this weekend, as she will be playing in the final LPGA major of the year in France.

Seven could be a pretty important number this year for Duke women's golf.

The number represents the Blue Devils' preseason ranking, the number of players on their roster and perhaps most importantly, the number of national championships they seek to have at the end of May when the season concludes.

But May is a pretty long way off for a squad that is preparing for its season opening tournament that begins Sunday. The Cougar Classic at the Yeamans Hall Club in Hanahan, S.C., marks No. 7 Duke's first chance to return to the course after claiming the sixth national title in program history in May—the most of any Blue Devil athletic program—and losing three-fifths of its lineup in the offseason.

Duke will debut two of its three standout freshmen, play without reigning National Player of the Year Celine Boutier—who is one of four amatuers competing in the final LPGA major of the year, the Evian Championship, in her native France—and compete against two other top-10 teams in what promises to be an eventful 54 holes of golf.

"I couldn't be more excited about the people I have on the team," head coach Dan Brooks said. "We're a little short-handed right now, but I'm very excited with these freshmen we have. They've just brought a lot of enthusiasm."

The only fixture in this week's lineup that saw meaningful action last year is Sandy Choi. The sophomore came on strong at the end of last year, recording two top-10 finishes late in the spring, and now must deal with the expectations that come with her early success.

Although Choi will have the most experience the course for Duke, two upperclassmen—Irene Jung and Yi Xiao—will also be able to provide leadership because of their combined five years of experience in Brooks' program.

Although opportunities have been sparse throughout their careers, Jung and Xiao will have a chance this year not only to prove themselves individually on the course, but also to guide the three Blue Devil freshmen as they adjust to life in Durham.

With Boutier playing so much international golf this summer, Brooks has been pleased with the way the tandem has guided the team's youngsters.

"They're already doing a great job taking care of the freshmen, showing them the ropes, how to get around and giving them rides—they've been very good with their leadership," Brooks said. "That's going to continue. They're those kind of people."

Irish twins Leona and Lisa Maguire will round out the Duke lineup this week and make their highly anticipated debut. The pair have plenty of impressive international golf experience in the Curtis Cup—one of the most prestigious amateur events that pits the best young American players against the best from Great Britain and Ireland—but will still have to adjust to playing collegiate golf with new teammates.

The value Brooks places on heart and intensity should help the sisters fit right in with Duke's diverse team, as should their maturity and commitment to their craft.

"They're just very hard workers and are very passionate about their golf—that's been obvious," Brooks said. "That's really good for the team to see that."

The third member of the Blue Devils' heralded freshman class—Gurbani Singh—will not compete this week after playing for India in the Women's World Amateur Team Championship in Japan. She just returned to Durham earlier this week.

Although Singh will not be competing this week, her dedication has already made in impact on her coaches and teammates.

"Despite her long flight back from Japan, she was out here earlier than everyone else [Tuesday] morning for practice," Brooks said.

With Singh and Boutier primed to rejoin the team in two weeks, the most pressing obstacle facing Duke is the old-style Yeamans Hall Club layout is sure to offer a unique challenge.

"It's just a wonderful step back in time," Brooks said. "You go into this old country club setting and there's no paved rounds. It's different than anything you've seen. There will be some shots you're not used to on a more modern course—more running shots and then there will be some very steep banks. There will be some real strategy to playing the golf course."

Share and discuss “Duke women's golf ready to kick off fall season at Cougar Classic” on social media.